Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Contentment Comes When We Abide In God's Peace That Surpasses Human Understanding

Numbers 2:34 - Thus the children of Israel did according to all that the Lord commanded Moses; so they camped by their standards and so they broke camp, each one by his family, according to their fathers’ houses.

God had told Moses to organize the camp where they lived while traveling to the Promised Land. Each family was to camp together… in an assigned place around the tabernacle they had built to worship God. Each family was also assigned a person to lead them when war became necessary.

I have always known the important of family bonds. When a family is healthy and follows God…it is a source of strength… of comfort. But when families begin to let the world and satan dissolve them into brokenness…or allow abuse to take over the love God intended for them to show each other…or let worldly things like alcohol or drugs twist their minds into a false reality… or simply take for granted the support system they were given…  or let worry control their minds…they become weak.

Matthew Henry’s commentary planted a thought in my head last night.  He said that what we have been allotted we should be content with. I admit it’s hard to be content with family sometimes…especially if it broken…and infiltrated with things like abuse and drugs. But I know a God that is able to plant a peace that passes understanding …in all situations…and help us be patient till he is able to soften the hearts of even the most troubled of family members. Its written in Philippians 4:7… “And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

I will admit too…that when I allowed my family to be broken by divorce…it was devastating to all. But God in his timing is beginning to repair and restore…and that peace that passes all understanding has provided the trust I needed to wait on him to do his healing work.


Father…thank you for the reminder that we are called to be content in all things. Forgive me for the times I have added to the craziness in my life because I complained about the situation you placed me in.  Help me to wait on your timing …claiming Philippians 4:7… that promises to plant an everlasting ace in my heart for all that happens. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment