Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Take A Spiritual Inventory

Numbers 1:1-2 -  Now the Lord spoke to Moses in the Wilderness of Sinai, in the tabernacle of meeting, on the first day of the second month, in the second year after they had come out of the land of Egypt, saying: “Take a census of all the congregation of the children of Israel, by their families, by their fathers’ houses, according to the number of names, every male individually, 

The children of Israel had spent about one year camped at the base of the mountain. God had strengthened them…given them the rules he wanted them to live by…and given them a tabernacle in which to worship him. Now it was time to be numbered for the trip he was about to lead them on.

It was David Guzik’s commentary that reminded me of the importance of taking such an inventory before moving forward. He said it was an importance first step. The Israelites took a physical inventory of the males old enough to help fight the battles God knew was coming in their journey towards the land he was giving them to live.  But our inventory should be a spiritual one…one that honestly takes note of what God has and hasn’t equipped us with to fight the battles mentioned in Ephesians 6:12… “For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.”

I needed the reminder to take such an inventory.  It has been a while since I thought of honestly evaluating every aspect of my relationship with him…so I think God is leading me to honestly evaluate my relationship with him…and see where my strengths and weaknesses lie. There are many tools out there…a quick google should produce many for me to choose from.  I just need to make the time to do one.


Father...thank you for the reminder that sometimes it is beneficial to stop and evaluate our relationship with you.  Forgive me for the times I have moved ahead without stopping to count my strengths and weaknesses….and asking you to help me work on the areas that are not where they need to be.  Help me to find a block of time...and the right instrument to help me uncover the things I need to work on to be the best servant for you I can be.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment