Friday, April 8, 2016

Learn To Pray Like Jesus

Genesis 4:26 and Luke 11:1 -  And as for Seth, to him also a son was born; and he named him Enosh. Then men began to call on the name of the Lord.
…Now it came to pass, as He was praying in a certain place, when He ceased, that one of His disciples said to Him, “Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples.”

A prayer is defined as a solemn request or expression of thanks addressed to a god.  For me that God is the three in one trinity of the Father….Jesus his son….and the Holy Spirit that came to guide us after Jesus ascended back to heaven. The first mention of a prayer generated by a man was in Genesis 4:26.  After Cain killed Abel…and God granted Eve and Adam a new son…something happened to give man the idea it would be a good thing to call on god …as he had called on man.

God has been talking to me lately… creating in my heart and mind a strong conviction that my prayer life could be a whole lot better. It’s hard to explain in just a few words… so let’s just say I felt the need to push the pause button on reading Numbers…and study what the Bible had to say about prayer for a bit.

Luke 11:1 contains the wonderful question that the disciples put to Jesus one day.  They had seen his power and dedication to God was second to none…and feeling that this great ability to focus on God’s will instead of be swayed by the crowds around him was his dedication to prayer…they simply asked…Lord…teach us to pray.

One of my resources…a book of some of the great prayers of the Bible…made reference to a statement made by S.D. Gordon in his book Quiet Talks On Prayer…He said… “prayer for Jesus was not just a resort in emergency…but a regular habit…..he prayed so much and so often that it became to him like breathing-involuntary.

Just after Jesus ascended…many of the disciples and believers gathered for a 10 day prayer meeting.  I just can’t imagine that kind of passion and dedication to prayer these believers had in Acts 1. I do good to keep my bedtime routine 15-20 minutes long. Perhaps the few prayers that are offered up at random times increase the time I spend in prayer a bit…but I know in my heart that I good spend more time…and be more passionate.


Father...thank you for the reminder that prayer is a very important part of my relationship with you.  Forgive me for settling for what I have…instead of trying to understand more of the great power it holds to give me strength…and help others around me.  Help me to learn how to pray…like Jesus did…so I can walk completely in your will at all times. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment