Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Cry Out Only to God


Numbers 11:1-3 -   Now when the people complained in the hearing of the Lord about their misfortunes, the Lord heard it and his anger was kindled. Then the fire of the Lord burned against them, and consumed some outlying parts of the camp.  But the people cried out to Moses; and Moses prayed to the Lord, and the fire abated.  So that place was called Taberah, because the fire of the Lord burned against them.

 

Daily life for the Israelites was not an easy thing. We are not told exactly what the complaining was about but packing constantly…walking such long distances each day…and eating only manna every day had to have beat down their spirits.  No wonder grumbling arose in the camp…the spirit of discontent gripped them so fully it made God angry….so angry he destroyed part of the camp…till Moses saw fit to pray for them.

 

The people made the mistake of complaining to each other…they whined amongst themselves…to mere people who couldn’t do anything about the problems. They whined to each other…they lashed out at Moses….they lashed out at each other…the grumblings getting worse each day they traveled.

 

Thank God for Moses and his quick intervention….for he prayed to God for an answer. Moses knew to pray to the only one who could fix any problem we have….Moses knew to lift up the problem to God. And God heard his prayer…and stopped the fire.

 

What a great lesson for all of us that get a little dissatisfied with life’s crazy circumstances sometimes. I know I sure am guilty…especially at work…it seems that every time I turn around some new rule…paperwork… the addition of a teacher web site…low scores from the year before…and I find myself gathered together with my colleagues complaining and wishing for retirement once again. Not once have I suggested that we gather to pray about the issues….guess I have my orders this morning…no more complaining…except to God in a prayer…for him to give me guidance.

 

Father…thank you once again for smacking me in the face with a sin I need to deal with.  This one will be hard…for you know how much I love to talk.  Give me the strength to stop complaining and give my worries to you.  Help me to find the strength to do all that is asked of me…and call out only to you when it gets hard. Teach me to pray like Moses…so you will answer me quickly.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment