Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Seek an Attitude of God's Control


Leviticus 17: -5-7 -  This is so the Israelites will bring to the LORD the sacrifices they are now making in the open fields. They must bring them to the priest, that is, to the LORD, at the entrance to the Tent of Meeting and sacrifice them as fellowship offerings.  The priest is to sprinkle the blood against the altar of the LORD at the entrance to the Tent of Meeting and burn the fat as an aroma pleasing to the LORD.  They must no longer offer any of their sacrifices to the goat idols to whom they prostitute themselves. This is to be a lasting ordinance for them and for the generations to come.

 

The books of Leviticus contain so many rules….so many symbolic rituals.  Moses was given instruction after instruction to communicate to the people. This one was simple….stop sacrificing your offerings any other place than the altar of God at the door of the tabernacle. God’s presence dwelt in the heart of that camp….inside the Holy of Holies…and any sacrifice offered to him would only be accepted at the door of his house.  The blood of atonement had to be sprinkled there…where God had told them too….the sacrifice had to burned on the altar he told them to build…case closed…no exceptions.

 

I am sure it was easy said than done….for the sacrifices they had been offering on their own… meant that they had adopted the attitude of…” I can do this my way instead of God’s way!” this attitude seems harmless enough…but God said it plain in verses 8-9, “Say to them: 'Any Israelite or any alien living among them who offers a burnt offering or sacrifice and does not bring it to the entrance to the Tent of Meeting to sacrifice it to the LORD--that man must be cut off from his people.”

 

This scripture is still crying out to us today…I know that we do not have to offer blood sacrifices anymore…God took care of that when he allowed Jesus to shed his blood to pay for all our sins.  And technically we carry his house around with us now that he allows his spirit to live inside each of our hearts….so any offering of praise…or sacrifice we make to him is always at the door of his tabernacle….but I hope I am not the only one walking this Earth that has a problem with my attitude. The hedonistic view of...if it feels good…it is a thing God gave us…is not always the case. We twist the words of the Bible to fit what we want to do…instead of letting the words of the Bible lead us to the thing God wants us to do.

 

Jesus talked so much in the New Testament about cleansing our hearts….making right our attitudes toward the rules his father gave Moses. Samuel might as well have written Judges 17:6 for us….In those days there was no king in Israel, but every man did that which was right in his own eyes.”  We too have adopted an attitude that we have the right to decide what is right in our own eyes…and forget to check it against the words written down for us in the Bible…we search scriptures for one we can twist to justify whatever we want to do…so we can say we remain his child…when in actuality we are moving far away from his direction in our lives.

 

We must begin to bring every part of our lives into God’s control…check what we do and say constantly with his words from the Bible he gave us to live by.   We must stop justifying and searching his word for ways to sidestep what he really wants for us…a life lived in sacrifice and love to the father…so grateful for his presence in our lives that we bring him our time…our deeds….our work…our money…..our homes….our cars….all the things he blessed us with…and we lay them at his altar…and we allow him to direct everything we do with them.

 

Father…you are so patient and merciful to me.  I am humbled to feel your love and care…even though I am guilty of justifying some of the things I do because I wanted too…and I did not see the harm…or know your word enough to feel the wrong of what I did.  Fill me this day Lord with the knowledge of your Bible….let me study to show myself approved…and lay aside all my former attitudes.  Replace all the things in my life that are done because I want to… with things that I need to do because your word says for me to. Make me a servant…bold and wise with the words you feed me with… every evening that I open your book to study. Include in my morning prayers a request to stay totally within the will of the father…set forth to me by your word! Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment