Saturday, November 10, 2012

Perfection Found in His Blood


Leviticus 21:21-24 - No descendant of Aaron the priest who has any defect is to come near to present the offerings made to the LORD by fire. He has a defect; he must not come near to offer the food of his God. He may eat the most holy food of his God, as well as the holy food; yet because of his defect, he must not go near the curtain or approach the altar, and so desecrate my sanctuary. I am the LORD, who makes them holy.' "  So Moses told this to Aaron and his sons and to all the Israelites.

 

Just as the lambs…and goats….and bulls….and…birds chosen to be sacrificed to God had to be perfect…so did the priest that stepped close to God’s presence to offer it to him. Anyone with a defect was not to come near to God’s…. presence or do the holy work of sacrifice. They were to marry virgin women…and keep their families as holy and pure as possible. They were set apart by God to do the most special work of the camp…therefore they had to keep their hair uncut….and never do the common work of burying one who had died…unless it was a close relative.

 

There might have been many reasons for this order from God.  One is that the people around them practiced many of the things that God told them not to do.  He wanted his priests to understand that his worship rituals were different….he was a jealous God…that accepted only the best we have to offer. The priests had also been consecrated and anointed to do the special work of handling the people’s offerings.  Maybe this work was so important and time consuming that they would not have time to deal with the other needs of the people….like who would bury the dead.

 

My head immediately started thinking how sad those children might have been…that were born with defects…who never got to fulfill the family job…but were cared for and fed just the same.  But maybe they had great parents that filled their day with other jobs to do…and they never noticed that they were defective. Maybe they were taught to just accept it as the way God intended…and never went into pity part mode….like I seem to do so often. The priests set themselves apart to do what God gave them to do…and everybody else took care of the other tasks in the camp. Maybe the message here is more for those of us that fall into that ‘imperfect’ category…and see ourselves as unneeded …unusable by God.

 

And if you think about it….the whole way we worship changed when Jesus was born and began to help us understand the real reason for all these rules we find in Leviticus. The rules were meant to set us apart…not limit us.  The rules were meant to help us understand our purpose on Earth…to spread his love and help others understand the truth in his word. If we really love him… the rules we read become a part of our lifestyle…just because. We know in our hearts when something we do is for ourselves instead of our Lord….when something we do is done out of selfishness…or powered by the love we have for God.

 

I wrote in my journal how glad I am that Jesus came and paid the high price for my sins….shedding his blood for me and allowing me to be my own high priest. For I am one of the ones that allows the ‘imperfections’ the world identifies…to hold me back from being a powerful Christian like Paul…or John the Baptist…who gave everything they had to his control and let his love consume them to the point that they did nothing except preach his word.  I am so glad that he allowed the veil to be torn that dark day…as he made a way for all of us that feel inferior…unusable … to consider that we would want Jesus to be our personal savior…and become our own high priest….able to talk with him….worship him…and pray to him anytime we need. His perfect love comes into our imperfect sinful body and washes all the defects away.  His perfect blood can give us the strength and courage we need to be confident at his altar…and offer up our own sacrifices of time….money….in service to him.

 

Oh father…how grateful I am that you came to save our world from the sin we live in.  Help me to see that you can wash away all my imperfections…and empower me to do anything you ask me to do. Give me the positive mind of Joshua…the prayer strength of Moses…the faith of the woman with the issue of blood…and the courage of Paul.  Help me to change the way I see myself….as imperfect and unusable….into the woman you have planned for me to be.  Keep Satan from tricking me with his lies…and help me to place scriptures in my head that will fight the confusion he tries to trick me with. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment