Monday, November 5, 2012

Wash and Dress for God


Leviticus 16:7-10 -  Then he is to take the two goats and present them before the LORD at the entrance to the Tent of Meeting.  He is to cast lots for the two goats--one lot for the LORD and the other for the scapegoat.  Aaron shall bring the goat whose lot falls to the LORD and sacrifice it for a sin offering.  But the goat chosen by lot as the scapegoat shall be presented alive before the LORD to be used for making atonement by sending it into the desert as a scapegoat.

 

Once a year…Aaron was to wash and dress and prepare a sacrifice for himself…so he could be ready to meet with God and ask for the atonement of all the sins of the nation. One goat was given the honor of burning on the altar and being sacrificed to God…the other had to bear the sins of the whole camp…and be released into the wilderness carrying the full weight of those sins.

 

I wonder what went through the minds of all those people gathered to watch this curious ritual each year. Did they visualize all the things they had done wrong leaving camp with that goat…and repeat in their hearts as Aaron sacrificed the other?  Did they gather with indifferent hearts…not feeling in part in the service? Or did they think it was an empty ritual….a wasted meal that could have fed some poor family?

 

I wonder what Aaron felt as he dressed that day…gathered his strength and courage…lit the incense in the censor that would shield his eyes from the holy presence of God. Oh how he must have looked forward to this meeting with God in the Holy of Holies…to drink in his glory and feel the renewal of his presence in his own heart.

 

I know that I should carry God with me everywhere I go…but there is something special about going to meet with him at his house. I know that the church is really the people that gather there…but I just can’t let go of the concept that he calls us to meet with him in corporate worship.  He calls us to fall on our knees and praise him with our voice and our prayers. He calls us to meet together and encourage…to thank God for sending his son to be the final scapegoat.

 

It reminds me that my own weekly meeting with God at his house should be anticipated more. I should dress and wash myself and prepare my heart to meet with him. I should light the fire of my heart…and run to meet with my fellow Christian friends….and seek his glory. I should fall on the altar and beg God to cleanse me and give me power to do his work…to teach and to witness to the millions who still don’t know him.  To pray for those who have accepted him in countries where Christ is not loved by all…where persecution makes the name Christian a hard road to walk.

 

God forgive me for my indifference to the lost around me. Help me to understand that being called to be your child involves work…and sacrifice. Give me a renewed passion to do your work…and seek you to provide the power I need to serve you…and win the lost. Help me to start to wash and prepare myself to meet you every day! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment