Friday, November 23, 2012

Our heart...God's House


Numbers 7: 1-5   and 89 - When Moses finished setting up the tabernacle, he anointed it and consecrated it and all its furnishings. He also anointed and consecrated the altar and all its utensils.  Then the leaders of Israel, the heads of families who were the tribal leaders in charge of those who were counted, made offerings.  They brought as their gifts before the LORD six covered carts and twelve oxen--an ox from each leader and a cart from every two. These they presented before the tabernacle.  The LORD said to Moses,  "Accept these from them, that they may be used in the work at the Tent of Meeting. Give them to the Levites as each man's work requires."  ………………..

When Moses entered the Tent of Meeting to speak with the LORD, he heard the voice speaking to him from between the two cherubim above the atonement cover on the ark of the Testimony. And he spoke with him.

 

The tabernacle was finished…so Moses anointed and consecrated everything in it to the use of God.  The leaders of the tribes came and brought gifts…..so much that it took six covered carts to carry it all.  Then Moses entered the tent and went behind the veil….and heard God’s voice from above the ark….and they spoke.

 

Even though it was not the first time Moses had heard God’s voice…or spoken to him….It must have been a very spiritual moment for Moses.  He had to have thought about the day he heard God’s voice from a mere bush…burning but not consumed...the day he met God personally for the first time. He had to have been reminded of the time he spent with God on that mountain…the place where God had shown him his very glory. It had to have been one of those moments when you don’t know whether to kneel in awe...or stand in praise…fall completely broken before him…or shout out hallelujah because your heart wells up with great pride and joy!

 

Maybe Moses trembled in fear… or swelled with pride…but whatever emotion Moses felt that day…it had to have included a feeling of permanence….to know that he could come to God any time he needed to….to know that he did not have to wait for him…that he knew for sure where God lived every day.  It must have been a source of great comfort to Moses to know that this tabernacle and the ark of God would go with them everywhere god asked them to go.

 

The conversation was so private it is not written down…maybe God told him how proud he was of the job he had done so far…maybe Moses thanked him and asked for continued strength and wisdom….Maybe after they laughed out loud at all the crazy things that Moses had been through so far …they chatted about the weather and just sat in silence for a while and enjoyed each other’s presence.

 

It gives me great comfort to know that God ripped that veil the day his son died…and that I can now carry him around inside my own heart. It gives my heart a permanence all its own as I know wherever I go God is with me…for I am on the road once more…as I visited with family this week…and find myself in that familiar office at Krystal…typing on my new lap top…connected to the internet by the free wireless hotspot here. A Bible is at my fingertips and all the commentaries I can google ….help me to research and understand his great word. Who could help but be thankful that they can remember the day I they had their first personal encounter with Christ…and all the encounters since …and know that God will show us how to find him everywhere we go.

 

Father…I thank you that you are so near.  My human words of praise and love and reverence will never be able to express enough gratitude for all you have done and brought me through.  Forgive me for not constantly singing your praise …but letting myself get sidetracked instead in this busy world full of life struggles and hurts.  Go with me this day and help me to stop often and reflect deep in my heart on the love you give me and sustain me throughout every day. Help me to reflect the love you give me to others. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment