Monday, November 26, 2012

God Goes Before Us


Numbers 10:33-36   -   So they set out from the mountain of the LORD and traveled for three days. The ark of the covenant of the LORD went before them during those three days to find them a place to rest. The cloud of the LORD was over them by day when they set out from the camp. Whenever the ark set out, Moses said, "Rise up, O LORD! May your enemies be scattered; may your foes flee before you."  Whenever it came to rest, he said, "Return, O LORD, to the countless thousands of Israel."

 

With silver trumpets sounding strong…the journey of God’s people begins towards the Promised Land.  What a caravan of people…and animals…and Priests carrying the ark. Moses called them ‘countless thousands’…but it was probably close to two million people. They traveled with all their herds…and all the belongings they had brought with them from Egypt…they traveled the first of many days toward the land God had promised Abraham.

 

It must have been a great moment for Moses…for his voice couldn’t help but shout out as they started on their way…for God to rise up and go before the camp…and protect them. He called for the enemies of God to scatter….and for anyone they met to flee from their camp. And as the ark came to rest at night…Moses called for God to return to his mercy seat…and light the camp with his presence while they slept.

 

It would do us all good to follow Moses example….to wake each morning and call out to God to go before us and protect us…to guide and deliver us.  Then before we rest our heads at night...we should speak to God once more…and ask him to return to us…and give us rest. And Moses was not the only one to suggest that calling on God before we set out on a task…was a good thing to do. Daniel prayed three times a day….Mark 1:35 tells us even Jesus rose very early many days to speak with his father …and Paul wrote in 1 Thessalonians 5:17, “Never stop praying.”

 

I don’t have to shout like Moses…there is just me in the house these days….and maybe a few spiders I missed while cleaning.  So in my quiet way …I call out to him to guide my mind and fingers as I type each morning…and then lead me as I go to work.  A few times a day my mind will think of someone who needs an extra prayer…and I will silently lift my face and ask God to bless and keep them. Then at night …before I close my eyes…I ask him to teach me something new from his word… and whisper my few needs before him as I drift off to sleep. Maybe these verses are telling me that is just a good start…that I should get a little more serious about my prayers.

 

Father…you are so good.  You have blessed me beyond what I deserve…and I come to you this morning with a thankful heart.  Thank you that you love me…even though I don’t deserve one bit of it.  Thank you for your mercy and grace that makes a way for me…a sinner full of mistakes and flaws…to be saved by your blood.  Teach me how to pray…morning… noon…evening…even continually….and seek you wherever I go.  Teach me to call out to you like Moses… guide and deliver me in all that I do…because I am traveling the path you set out for me to go. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment