Monday, November 5, 2012

It's Not TMI to God


Leviticus 15:31   -  " 'You must keep the Israelites separate from things that make them unclean, so they will not die in their uncleanness for defiling my dwelling place, which is among them.' "

 

God sure covered everything! Moses was given the directions for how to handle the fluids that were discharged from male bodies when they had diseases…where unnatural fluids came from private places. He shared with Moses what to do with the secretions from intimate relations with our spouses. And God shared with Moses how to be purified every month when the woman’s body naturally cleansed itself from the unneeded material that wasn’t needed anymore if there were no pregnancy.

 

I wonder if Moses’ face got red as God shared all those details….I sure did have a time deciding which scripture out of these loaded verses to post. Our world has become a little too open with its commercials on monthly womanly needs …and birth control. And surely I am not the only one who thinks that those commercials for men who want to be virile in their declining age are just a little more than inappropriate for mixed audiences!

 

But I guess I have to listen on this one…for it must be an important issue to God…or he would not have allowed a whole chapter to be dedicated to such sensitive subjects. They did live in a desert….and bathing was probably not done every day as we do now. I am sure that part of God’s reasoning was to just promote good hygiene….and prevent the spread of diseases contacted by body fluids. But part of his orders…. to keep such strict rules in these areas that seem so private to us today…have to be to show us that God is in control of all our lives…even the most intimate times….even in the routine cycles that he created to give us children…and the sharing of the two seeds that gave life to a couple.

 

God also wanted us to know that these things did not belong in his tabernacle…it was reserved for his holiness. And we must present ourselves clean and fresh when we approach him to offer our praise and offerings to him. All traces of anything that might be deemed unclean to God…had to be removed by washing with water…so that his house and his holy presence would remain among them.

 

Father…I thank you that you created me with a way to create life…and that you blessed me three times with a child to love and nurture. Wash me clean and purify me anew with your living water…so that I might be ready to worship and praise you with each day you grant to me past this moment. Help me to realize that I need to wash myself spiritually as well as physically…so that I will be ready to serve you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment