Saturday, November 24, 2012

God's Light Shining Bright


Numbers 8: 1-4 - The LORD said to Moses,  "Speak to Aaron and say to him, When you set up the seven lamps, they are to light the area in front of the lampstand. Aaron did so; he set up the lamps so that they faced forward on the lampstand, just as the LORD commanded Moses.  This is how the lampstand was made: It was made of hammered gold--from its base to its blossoms. The lampstand was made exactly like the pattern the LORD had shown Moses.

 

This was a very important direction from God….for without this candlestick….the tabernacle would have remained in darkness. The light was symbolic of the presence of God...that now lived in the Holy of Holies above the ark.  The light was to shine forward on the work of the priests…it was to illuminate the inside of the tabernacle…so they could perform the work they had been assigned for the Lord.

 

We don’t light a 7 stemmed candlestick anymore ...because Jesus lives inside each and every one who has asked him to be their savior and king. But we do need to make sure the light Jesus put inside us the day we ask him into our lives is lit…and burning bright…and shedding its light forward to all the people we see and interact with every day. Jesus himself told us in John 8:12, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” His light is the light we should walk by every moment of our lives.

 

I remember the sweet words of the Psalmist David in Psalms 119:105…where he wrote… “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.” Daily Bible study will illuminate our path…and guide us…and teach us how to keep our lights shining brightly in the direction God wants us to shed his radiance to the world. We must hide his words in our hearts…so that we can recall them when Satan comes to tempt us.  We must study his word to know what direction to shine the light he gave us for others.

 

John said in Revelation 1:20…that the church was the very candlestick of God….and if we are the church…then we had better get our wicks trimmed…our oil supplies ready…and ask God to help us shine our lights in the direction he needs it the most. Just like the sun…which by the way is putting on one beautiful show this morning….rises to shed its light to the world…we should rise each morning and make sure we have lit the candlestick of our hearts.  We should rise each morning to speak with the father…and ask him to trim our candles…so we can be used every day to shine his light.

 

Father…I thank you for lighting the candle inside my heart the day I asked you to be my savior. Help me to trim my wick every morning and evening as I study your Holy Bible…and process its wise words to my life. Be the lamp in my life that lights my path…and shows me all the tricks Satan has placed in my way.  Help me to keep the light you gave me shining brightly so all can see its glow and know that you are in control of my world. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment