Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Give Beyond What Is Safe Or Convenient


Luke 21:1-4 - As he stood in the Temple, he was watching the rich tossing their gifts into the collection box.  Then a poor widow came by and dropped in two small copper coins.  “Really,” he remarked, “this poor widow has given more than all the rest of them combined.  For they have given a little of what they didn’t need, but she, poor as she is, has given everything she has.”

 

Jesus watched man rich and well to do people come put tons of money in the Temple collection boxes …but was unimpressed till a poor widow came and dropped in 2 small coins. Her small…seemingly insignificant offering caught His heart because it was all that she had in the world.

 

The difference in her offering was the sacrifice involved in making her gift. Her gift was all she had to care for herself in the future. Tossing those coins in the box meant she was totally relying on God for everything she would need in the future. Those rich and well to do folks just tossed in their extra….the income they did not need…or perhaps a mathematical calculation that measured their offering in exact 10 percent.

 

Jesus was impressed because the widow showed love beyond the others in giving sacrificially. She had the faith she needed to trust that God would provide all that she needed. Just like we are told in 2 Corinthians 8:2-3 …. “that during a severe ordeal of suffering, their abundant joy and their extreme poverty have overflowed in the wealth of their generosity.  For I testify, they gave according to their means and beyond their means. They did so voluntarily.”

 

I admit that I thought I was above the curve in giving.  I mathematically calculate my tithe each paycheck.  But this scripture has me reflecting on the motives for my simple routine of supporting my church. Sure I give to other things on a routine basis…and I hear in my spirit to help out with other causes from time to time...but I have never really sacrificed anything to do it. I give from the abundance of what God has blessed me with…sure that the checkbook still has plenty to cover the bills I know are coming that pay period.

 

I needed the reminder to examine my motives and rethink my routines. Perhaps I need to listen a little closer to what God needs me to support with what He has allowed me to handle for Him…for its His money after all….every penny. The object of true giving isn’t to set up some math formula…but to give beyond what is convenient and safe…to show our faith in God to care completely for us.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that everything I have is yours. Forgive me for the times that I have been selfish and used the resources you gave me to benefit only me.  Help me to be more like this widow…and give sacrificially…beyond what I know I can handle…so you can show off and prove your promise to care for me completely. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment