Friday, May 22, 2015

Open Your Heart To The Full Vision Of God


Luke 23:40-43 -  But the other criminal protested. “Don’t you even fear God when you are dying? We deserve to die for our evil deeds, but this man hasn’t done one thing wrong.”  Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your Kingdom.”  And Jesus replied, “Today you will be with me in Paradise. This is a solemn promise.”

 

Jesus was near to death….having hung on the cross for about 3 hours. The people closest to him had either deserted him and gone into hiding…or watched in hopelessness from a distance. Only this one criminal that hung beside him saw the hope and joy that was coming after death.

 

James and John had asked for this spot earlier…but they envisioned thrones beside an earthly king. Even as Jesus died they held fast to the idea…not even letting the 3 explanations that Jesus had given sink in to their souls.  But this criminal…full of repentance and humility could feel the presence of God at his side.

 

I admit that I am more like James and John than I am the criminal because I tend to limit my thinking to earthly ideas.  I need to take lessons from this dying man…who felt the glory of the Savior beside him and was brave enough to ask for forgiveness and mercy. Every sin He had ever committed was forgiven in that moment...and he passed from earthly suffering to Heavenly glory with Christ that day. 

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that your ways are so much more intricate than my human mind conceives on its own.  Forgive me for the times that I have limited my heart because I failed to see and feel your presence.  Help me to focus on you so closely that I let your vision take shape in my mind and replace all the earthly ways I thought of. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment