Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Keep Humility High On Your Proirity List


Luke 14:10-11 - “Do this instead—start at the foot; and when your host sees you he will come and say, ‘Friend, we have a better place than this for you!’ Thus you will be honored in front of all the other guests.  For everyone who tries to honor himself shall be humbled; and he who humbles himself shall be honored.”

 

Jesus had attended a fancy dinner as a guest and noticed how all the people struggled for the best seats of honor at the table. He took one more opportunity to remind those that attended of the importance of humility.  He told them to choose the lowliest seat in the arrangement…and let the host decide if they deserved a seat with more honor.

 

I admit that humbleness is one of the hardest skills to maintain…if you have mastered it at all. Anyone that has started at the bottom of any career choice works hard to move up the corporate ladder of success.  Jesus wanted to remind is of the need to always keep the promotions we get in life in the proper perspective.

 

The other point He wanted us to remember is that we should do things without even thinking about the reward we will get when we do it.  Our motives should be to help others…not think about being repaid ….or patted on the back for our help.  Our choice to follow Him means we count our blessings…but always turn every one of them over to God and make Him first in our lives.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder to keep humility at the center of our walk with you. Forgive me for the times that I let my heart feel discouraged because I put my need for attention before my need to serve. Help me to love you so fully that I see and perform the many tasks you give me to do that will get no reward o earth….just because I love you that much. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment