Saturday, May 23, 2015

Study To Show Thyself Approved


Luke 24:25-27 - Then Jesus said to them, “You are such foolish, foolish people! You find it so hard to believe all that the prophets wrote in the Scriptures!  Wasn’t it clearly predicted by the prophets that the Messiah would have to suffer all these things before entering his time of glory?” Then Jesus quoted them passage after passage from the writings of the prophets, beginning with the book of Genesis and going right on through the Scriptures, explaining what the passages meant and what they said about himself.

 

They had no clue they were talking with Jesus at the time….their hearts were burning inside them and they were drawn to this man who was walking with them the opposite direction that Jesus had told them to go…but God had hidden the real identity of this man to them. He explained God’s plan to them one more time…using scripture all the way back to Genesis. They only recognized Him at dinner…when He broke the bread they were to eat.

 

What a great reminder of what to do when we are confused…sad….mad….or wondering what we should do for any reason. Open up that Bible and rethink all the wisdom it has for us to make the best decisions for the life God granted us. Every answer for every decision has already been written down for us…we just have to take the time to read and search for what it says.

 

These disciples…and the women that found His grave empty had a hard time believing because they did not know the Bible…or trust what it said as completely true. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 says…. “All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

 

I admit that even my nightly study is not enough.  I want to be a stronger witness and know the Bible so much better than my one chapter a night study can give me. The short lessons of my Bible study at church don’t begin to give me the depth that Jesus had of His Father’s word. I need to memorize and know by heart all the scriptures that Jesus might need me to use as I walk around each day….I really have no clue who will cross my path each day…and what wisdom or strength they might need form the Bible. Sure I can fall back on the internet…I have an ap and a browser on my phone so I can look it up….but is that really the best way to use what God gave us. What if service goes out???or my battery goes dead unexplainably???would I have what I need in my heart so that God can use me like He did Jesus on that road to Emmaus????

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that your word needs to be embedded into my soul and heart so that you can use it to help me help myself and others through the struggles of life.  Forgive me for the times that I have shortened my study time…and relied on the internet alone to give me what I need from your word.  Help me to take my study of your word more seriously…to memorize scripture…to study it in depth…so that you can make me stronger…and use me to help others.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment