Friday, May 15, 2015

No One Can Serve Two Masters Equally


Luke 16:11-13  -  And if you are untrustworthy about worldly wealth, who will trust you with the true riches of heaven? And if you are not faithful with other people’s money, why should you be entrusted with money of your own? “For neither you nor anyone else can serve two masters. You will hate one and show loyalty to the other, or else the other way around—you will be enthusiastic about one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.”

 

Jesus knew the heart of everyone that came to hear Him teach or heal.  He saw their longing for material wealth to make life easier…but knew in the long run that the money they longed for would separate them from the father. He saw the little white lies they told to justify having things…or not being completely honest with others about what they treasured most.

 

Jesus walked this earth with nothing but the clothes on His back….He relied on His father to provide everything He needed. Jesus did not let any material possession get in the way of serving others…or completing the task His father had sent Him to do. Jesus’ radical way He dealt with wealth….helped Him focus completely on serving others.

 

I admit that it is a very hard thing to do. But I know in my heart that this is one of the keys to a closer relationship with God. Jesus said in Matthew 19:24…. “I say it again—it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God!” The less we have …the easier it is to rely completely on God.  The more we have…the bigger the temptation to be self-sufficient. 

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that you are all I need.  Forgive me for the times that I have replaced serving you with gathering things about me. Help me to keep foremost in my heart and mind that all the material things you have blessed me with really belong to you…and you gave them to me to use for you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment