Saturday, October 24, 2015

Don't Fool Yourself

James 1:21-23 -   So get rid of all that is wrong in your life, both inside and outside, and humbly be glad for the wonderful message we have received, for it is able to save our souls as it takes hold of our hearts.  And remember, it is a message to obey, not just to listen to. So don’t fool yourselves.  For if a person just listens and doesn’t obey, he is like a man looking at his face in a mirror; 

Perhaps James...the brother of Jesus … spoke from experience when he penned these words. He lived through the window of his family’s confusion and misconceptions of his brother to be one of the leaders of the apostles. He knew better than anyone that to be two sided got you nowhere.

His message is clear…get rid of anything that is wrong in your life…inside…or outside.  Then obey everything you know God is telling you to do…for listening only does no good.  He uses the analogy of a mirror to make his point.  God might reflect to us something that needs to change…but if we don’t take the time to work on changing it…the image in the mirror stays the same.

When God truly takes hold of your heart…you begin to see the things he wants to change in you when you read the scriptures….pray…. and really listen to the words of wisdom from your friends and family.  You begin to throw off the pride and selfishness of too much me….and let God whittle a bit of humility and grace into your heart.  Sometimes the message hits you square in the head…and other times it creeps up on you and blossoms into a wonderful epiphany of the confusion you felt for sometimes years  before.


Father…thank you for the reminder to let the mirror of my soul reflect more of you than it does of me. Forgive me for the times that I avoid the mirror…or try to convince myself that what I see doesn’t need to be changed.  Help me to be honest with myself…and truly listen …so I can see every change that you need to make to make me fully usable in your plan for me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment