Monday, October 26, 2015

The Tongue....Small...Yet Very Powerful

James 3:2-5 - If anyone can control his tongue,  it proves that he has perfect control over himself in every other way.  We can make a large horse turn around and go wherever we want by means of a small bit in his mouth.  And a tiny rudder makes a huge ship turn wherever the pilot wants it to go, even though the winds are strong.  So also the tongue is a small thing, but what enormous damage it can do. A great forest can be set on fire by one tiny spark. 

James tackles some of the tougher aspects of Christian Character.  Our words are powerful tools that can be used for good…used to uplift and encourage. They can be used to tear down…damage or simply create an environment of blasphemes that surely make God bow His head in embarrassment if we have attached our life to His Holy name.

He uses the analogies …like the SMALL spark that starts a fire…. The SMALL bit that guides a horse…and the SMALL rudder that steers a ship to say that the size of this tool has nothing to do with the power it has over the heart.  One word can build up the lowest of self-esteem’s… tear down the highest of positive thinking….or tear down the character you have worked on for years with one unholy curse word. They stick to everyone’s soul in hearing distance….probably forever…never truly being erased after they are said.

My heaviest burden of guilt lies with the many uncontrolled words that were spoken during the last few years of my first marriage.  Words spoken in selfishness…self-righteousness…or simply hurt will be remembered for the rest of the lives they were spoken in front of.  I know that I am not the person that acted that way now…but only those that are able to see my daily walk are privy to the changes God is making in my use of the tongue.  I am so thankful for God’s forgiveness and know that one day he will even use my uncontrolled words to bring about good.

James says to concentrate on the positive… and wisdom will help us bridle this hard to tame beast.  Use pure thoughts…be gentle…and to work toward peace even when it means giving in your feelings.  He says to run from any discussion that includes gossip…bragging…exaggerating …complaining…put downs …and lying.  Take the time to think before you speak…Is it true???…Is it necessary???...Is it kind???


Father...thank you for the reminder to keep my powerful tongue in control and constantly working towards loving others.  Forgive me for the times that used my tongue to tear down…or blaspheme your holiness. Help me to be control so fully by your love that the positive way to use my tongue becomes all that I know how to do.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment