Wednesday, October 14, 2015

God Sees Behind The Mask

Hebrews 4:12-13   -   For whatever God says to us is full of living power: it is sharper than the sharpest dagger, cutting swift and deep into our innermost thoughts and desires with all their parts, exposing us for what we really are.  He knows about everyone, everywhere. Everything about us is bare and wide open to the all-seeing eyes of our living God; nothing can be hidden from him to whom we must explain all that we have done.

This writer reminds us that God sees everything we do.  Nothing is hidden from him.  His ability and power to peel back the layers of facade that we build over the years to justify doing what we want to do…exposes us for what we really are…100% of the time.

The holiday of Halloween is quickly approaching.  Stores are full of costumes and masks of all kinds. We carefully pick this one or that one in preparation for the walk with our children to collect candy or the big party that we might attend. We can become just about anything we want…good or bad….for the short time of this holiday.

I had to ask myself if I try to wear a mask the rest of the year too. Do people see the same thing that Christ sees when he peels back the layers of my innermost being…or do I present myself to be somehow different to others? Is it more important for others to see the best me all the time…or can I perhaps be a stronger witness for God when I allow others to see the ugly parts of me as well?

I admit that I am guilty of trying to always let others see the best in me….but this scripture reminds me of the need to let others see the mistakes and failings I have experienced as well.  In taking off the mask…in peeling back the layers of innermost being to all we meet…we open ourselves to help more people understand God’s love.

What is important is that we never hide our mistakes and sin from God.  He already saw it…he already paid the price for me to be washed clean of any judgement from him in the end. I just need to realize that more often and repent of my failures and let him lead me away from those mistakes so he can teach me how to use them to help others.


Father…thank you for the reminder that you see everything that I have done…and have already forgiven me for anything I will ever do that is wrong.  Forgive me for the times that I try to wear a mask for others that paints me as a better person that I really am.  Help me to live for you and not others opinions of who I should be so you can use my mistakes to be messages to others. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment