Saturday, October 3, 2015

Who Is Your example Of How To Stir Up The Power God Placed Inside Us?

2 Timothy 1:7-8 -   For the Holy Spirit, God’s gift, does not want you to be afraid of people, but to be wise and strong, and to love them and enjoy being with them. If you will stir up this inner power, you will never be afraid to tell others about our Lord or to let them know that I am your friend even though I am here in jail for Christ’s sake. You will be ready to suffer with me for the Lord, for he will give you strength in suffering.

Paul knew in his spirit that he might not see his dear friend Timothy again….so he poured into this letter the love and encouragement he thought the young preacher might need. Timothy was facing much persecution…and Paul knew the toll that such constant suffering could take on the soul. He wrote one of my favorite verses….don’t be timid…stir up the inner power that God gave you to be strong in the face of adversity.

The Oregon shooting is fresh on my mind…many lost their life because they heeded the words of this verse.  I think the only way they were able to call out that they indeed were Christians…is that they stirred up the inner power that Paul was talking about here.  Even with the fear of death…they boldly proclaimed who they belonged too.

I know of a lady who is fighting cancer. She had beat it before…and now it is back 7 times worse.  She isn’t cowering in defeat ….she is praying for healing…as well as using her time to speak out for Christ. She wants to be used to make sure all the doctors and nurses she meets have met God.  She has embraced Paul’s words as well.

I bet we could all tell the story of others who are present day examples of Paul’s great advice to Timothy. What great reminders these bold servants of Christ are to a world that is facing more persecution than ever. It gives me even more resolve to pray for my own boldness and courage if God allows me to be in a situation that may lead to such hard decisions. 

We are all afraid of being a Peter when it comes to such times…but we all hold the inner power inside us to be just as strong as Paul….Timothy…. Daniel in that lion’s den….his three friends in the fiery furnace…the Oregon students…and my sister’s friend Meagan with cancer. Perhaps by sharing the powerful stories of others who have faced severe persecution and followed Paul’s advice here…we can all find the courage to stand strong in our faith…and trust God no matter what.


Father…thank you for the reminder that no one dies in your care that is not rewarded in the nest season of life with you. Forgive me for the times that I let my fears keep me from being as bold and courageous as I need to be. Thank you for models like Megan and the students in Oregon who show me how to stir up the power you have placed inside me to be strong and courageous.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment