Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Doubt Is The Enemy... Not The Promise

Hebrews 10:23-25   - Now we can look forward to the salvation God has promised us. There is no longer any room for doubt, and we can tell others that salvation is ours, for there is no question that he will do what he says. In response to all he has done for us, let us outdo each other in being helpful and kind to each other and in doing good.  Let us not neglect our church meetings, as some people do, but encourage and warn each other, especially now that the day of his coming back again is drawing near.

This writer was dealing with the converted Jews that let the world without Christ beside them begin doubts that the Messiah had ever come. His words are just as valid and true today for anyone that lets life weigh them down with doubts about God’s plan in their life. Doubt is the enemy…not the promise.

Whole hearted belief is part of that faith he will talk about next chapter in detail…but here he just states the facts.  Christ came and died for our sins.  He rose to conquer death.  He provides salvation to all that believe in him and the sacrifice he made.  Salvation washes us clean of all our sin.  This is a forever promise.

He calls for us to combat the doubt that satan tries so hard to squeeze into our souls by trying to outdo the kindnesss…helpfulness….encouragement… even warnings that Christ Himself completed while He was on earth. He tells us to gather together and never neglect an opportunity to fellowship and worship so we can stay strong and full of confidence in his will for our lives.

 I will testify that the times I have decided to stay home from a church meeting or ministry commitment…. it takes me longer to bounce back from my illness.  I am so thankful that my church has provided ways for me to watch most services from home if I feel I am contagious….or medicine makes it unsafe for me to drive…. but it’s not the same. I miss the hugs and encouraging words from each person that takes the time to visit with me on the way to classes and my time to worship.


Father…thank you for the reminder that your promise of salvation is forever.  Forgive me for the times that I have let life cultivate doubts.  Help me to use kindness…helpfulness… and encouragement to try to outdo the acts of love that Jesus modeled for me. Bless those that have shown the same to me when I am struggling. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment