Sunday, October 18, 2015

Is God's Law Written On Your Heart And Mind?

Hebrews 8:10 -  But this is the new agreement I will make with the people of Israel, says the Lord: I will write my laws in their minds so that they will know what I want them to do without my even telling them, and these laws will be in their hearts so that they will want to obey them, and I will be their God and they shall be my people.

This writer did not give it a name…but he was talking about the Holy Spirit that God places inside our hearts and minds when we accept his precious gift of salvation. It was a very hard concept for the Jews to comprehend.  They had been used to a system where only a priest could be in the presence of God…and at that only once a year.  Moses was the only one to spend more time with God.

God went from a presence that abided within the curtained area of the Temple…to a presence inside each heart and mind that believed in him. As Christ gave his precious blood for mankind…God tore the curtain that hid his presence…God dissolved the need for man to atone for his sins before he knew him. He provided a way for every man to have a relationship with him that …with simple belief in the act of love his son provided to atone for every sin that had and would be committed in the future.

It was a bit later at Pentecost that God allowed his Holy Spirit to come to man’s heart.  1 John 2:27 says….  “But you have received the Holy Spirit, and he lives within you, in your hearts, so that you don’t need anyone to teach you what is right. For he teaches you all things, and he is the Truth, and no liar; and so, just as he has said, you must live in Christ, never to depart from him.”

What a great reminder that we have access to the power of God through the Holy Spirit.  If we believe in the act of love in Christ’s death and resurrection…we can have the Holy Spirit abide in our hearts and minds too…constantly helping us to discern right from wrong.


Father…thank you for the reminder that God’s presence is available to all that believe in his precious son and the sacrifice of love he made to atone for all sin.  Forgive me for the times that I forget the power that I can tap into through your Holy Spirit and let wrong tilt the scales of my activities.  Help me to use the power that the Holy Spirit can give me to do the things that I know to be right and true.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment