Thursday, December 17, 2015

Be Careful Of Blind Ambition

Genesis 11:5-7 -  But the Lord came down to see the city and the tower which the sons of men had built.  And the Lord said, “Indeed the people are one and they all have one language, and this is what they begin to do; now nothing that they propose to do will be withheld from them.   Come, let Us go down and there confuse their language, that they may not understand one another’s speech.”

The tower of Babel…and the city that it stood in might have been a good thing …IF…God had told man to build it. This tower and city however…were built out of a need to be somebody…a need to “make something of oneself.”  The many languages we have today were given to us to slow down our ability to communicate.  God used our worst fear as the consequence to the wrong choice at the time. He chose the fear of being scattered as the consequence … to tell man that everything we set out to do is not good.

It speaks of the need to realize that just having the technology to do something….doesn’t make it God’s will to do it. Every idea that pops into our head is not of God. Ambition is only good if it is left totally in God’s hands and timing. Without the approval and help of the father…it is selfish …has distorted values…and walks us down a road of selfish power. 

The root of this issue is pride…a feeling or deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements, the achievements of those with whom one is closely associated, or from qualities or possessions that are widely admired….according to Webster.  It is a tricky quality that in the right amounts helps us gain courage and confidence. BUT…in just the least amount of surplus … it can lead to what Max Lucado termed… “blind ambition”…a selfish ambition that does things without consulting God.

Here’s the question that was posed in my Max Lucado Study Bible…. What towers am I building without God…to gain worth….to prove I am somebody? It gives me a task today…to write down my accomplishments and dreams….to ponder and pray about whether all of the things I am involved in in this season of life were directives of God. If they are not…I have some winter cleaning to do.  Perhaps God has used them for good already and there is no danger of satan using it to weaken my faith….but if not…I need to do some rearranging in my life to make sure that God is in control of all my activities…before satan has a chance to use it against me.


Father…thank you for the reminder that you are to be in control of all my thoughts…all my dreams….all my accomplishments.  Forgive me for the things I have tried to do without you.  Help me to really consider all that I am involved in and whether it is something that you told me to do. Give me the courage and strength to cut the things from my life that might be the source of selfishness and pride…so that all that I am involved in is fully in your control. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment