Monday, December 28, 2015

What Size Is Your Heart?

Genesis 2:11-12 -  But the angel of the Lord called out to him from heaven, “Abraham! Abraham!”  “Here I am,” he replied.  “Do not lay a hand on the boy,” he said. “Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son.”

God had appeared to Abraham to “test” him.  He wanted to know whether Abraham loved his son more than he did God.  So he told him to take him to a mountain 3 days travel away and sacrifice him there as a burnt offering.  We read about no questions from Abraham…just a quick effort to pack the things he needed the very next morning …then start on his way.

We can only wonder what Abraham’s thoughts were as he traveled those three days. Perhaps the conversation between the father…son and two servants distracted him from dwelling too much on the task he had been given.  Perhaps he prayed silently for God to change his mind.  Perhaps his strong faith just knew God would either change his mind…provide another sacrifice when they got there… or perhaps raise him from the dead after he sacrificed him.

Perhaps the lesson was also for Isaac. We don’t read about any fear or struggle as he was bound and laid upon that alter. What faith Isaac must have had in his father to comply completely with no questions. His only question was answered with a simple “God will provide.”

What did Abraham and Isaac feel in that moment the angel revealed that God had changed his mind.  He knew for certain that Abraham “feared” God. He loved God more than the son God had given him as fulfillment of his promise.  He loved God more than the prospects of having infinite numbers of descendants.

I admit that this is one of the hardest stories in the Bible to comprehend and process. I also admit that I have failed so many of the tests God has allowed in my life to prove my love…I have lost count. But I must have passed enough for God to keep working on my faith.  He must have something else for me to accomplish on this earth…for I am still here. When we fail one test…God trains us a little more…then tests us again.

One last thought.  God is more interested in the condition of our heart than anything else about us. As long as we fear him…he will keep chasing us and teaching us how to love him so completely that we too could be as strong as Abraham and Isaac.  It is never too late….there is much truth in one of my favorite Dr. Seuss stories… “How The Grinch Stole Christmas.”  We just need to capture the faith of that sweet Cindy Lou Who…and not give up on the Grinch’s of the world till all their hearts have grown 3 sizes. That’s what the great commission is all about.

Father….thank you for the reminder that the disposition of our heart is more important to you than any outward thing we say or do.  Forgive me for allowing the world to build callouses around the heart that you are trying to make soft and caring.  Help me find the child-like faith that you gave me when I was born and redevelop it …so my heart will grow as many sizes as it needs too for you to use it to help others.  Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment