Wednesday, December 23, 2015

The Pure Joy Of Faith

Genesis 17:15 – 17 -  Then God said to Abraham, “As for Sarai your wife, you shall not call her name Sarai, but Sarah shall be her name.  And I will bless her and also give you a son by her; then I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations; kings of peoples shall be from her.”  Then Abraham fell on his face and laughed, and said in his heart, “Shall a child be born to a man who is one hundred years old? And shall Sarah, who is ninety years old, bear a child?” 

We are not told just how God manifested himself to Abraham to have the talk that would change not just his name…but make him the father of two great nations….but it was a talk that made Abraham fall to his knees once again in awe of God’s mercy and love for his family. His heart was so overjoyed at how God was going to use an impossible situation to bring about his version of possible….his heart laughed with joy.

I have to admit that for all these years I had thought of Abraham’s laughter as one of incredulity….even disbelief… but Matthew Henry...and several other commentators agreed that his laughter was that of a giddy child…opening a present on Christmas day that they thought could never be theirs. I am once again reminded just how much I let my logic and short-sided mind interpret what I see and read. To think that I have read so quickly through these passages and missed the true meaning in this passage makes me wonder just how many other things I have gotten wrong from my lack of in depth study of God’s word.

Abraham was a man of faith…he fell to his knees in thankful praise and awe …believing instantly in God’s words of truth that would overcome the logical facts of his situation.  I needed a reminder to believe…that God can do anything…even if my mind and experience fight the thought of it ever becoming a reality. This kind of faith is what healed the blind man with Jesus’ spit…just read John 9 for that amazing story.  This kind of faith is what healed the woman with an issue of blood for 12 years with a simple touch…that story is in Luke 8. This kind of faith is what held Christ to that cross to complete God’s wonderful plan of salvation.


Father…thank you for the reminder that you can do anything. Forgive me for my short sightedness…that keeps my faith from developing into the pure faith that Abraham … the blind man and the woman who touched Jesus’ robe had.  Help me to deepen my faith so that I too can envision your plans that seem impossible….and fall to my knees in joyous laughter and awe as I hear your words. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment