Thursday, December 10, 2015

Enoch...Enosh...And Noah...Kept The World Connected To God

Genesis 5:6-8 -  Seth lived one hundred and five years, and begot Enosh.  After he begot Enosh, Seth lived eight hundred and seven years, and had sons and daughters.  So all the days of Seth were nine hundred and twelve years; and he died.

It was important for the writer of Genesis to record Adam’s genealogy….at least till God brought Adam into the world. Adam and Eve had introduced sin into the world…and Cain had been so controlled by it that he murdered his own brother. Seth must have taught his son Enosh the important things about God…because he was able to help man enter a season of walking with God.

Other generations were able to walk with God after that. Enoch was so honored by God that he was taken up to heaven before he died…and Noah was so obedient to God that Genesis stopped the genealogy lesson with him. But sin could not be completely erased. It attached itself to the weak ones in this list of men….and kept trying to erase the piece of man that needed God.

I sit to write in front of a window that faces some of my bird feeders. I am so distracted this morning by the squirrels that keep eating the seed I meant for the beautiful birds I love to watch. Try as I might…I just can’t keep them off the feeders. They learn so quickly that even the baffles and so labeled ‘squirrel proof’ feeders I purchased don’t keep them away for long. Short of sitting in front of them on a permanent basis… I am learning that if I want to feed the birds…I just have to put up with a few squirrels.

Sin is just like those squirrels. It just won’t leave us alone….so we have to stay so connected to God that whatever it tries to steal from us…be it joy…be it children…be it financial … be it health…God is right there to help us move forward and learn how to trust him no matter what.  We have to learn that God can take anything that satan attacks and destroys and weave it back into something good. One of his promises is to replace what was taken in an even greater way.


Father...thank you for the reminder that you can take all things and use it for your good. Forgive me for the times that I give up too quickly on a bad situation and forget that you can do something good with it.  Help me to trust you more… and love through the harsh seasons of life…so that I can learn to be like the strong men of faith you planted throughout the history of our world. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment