Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Our Faith Is A Great Source of Comfort... Strength...And Power

Genesis 24:6-7 -  “Make sure that you do not take my son back there,” Abraham said.  “The Lord, the God of heaven, who brought me out of my father’s household and my native land and who spoke to me and promised me on oath, saying, ‘To your offspring I will give this land’—he will send his angel before you so that you can get a wife for my son from there.

Abraham was dying…but had finally learned to completely trust God for his future.  He took the time to let the senior servant of his household know how important it was for his son Isaac to take a wife from his people back home. He knew the dangers of letting Isaac go home himself…or allowing him to marry a Canaanite woman. Isaac would need a supportive wife that also believed in the promise of God.

Death …whether it is someone we love…or our own…tends to focus the mind on what is most important. We surrender to God and learn to use what strength we may have in those moments to let him lead us through this difficult time.  Abraham used his last days to send his servant to find Isaac a wife from his family back home. He made sure this servant knew that he was to depend on God for every decision that he would have to make while on this mission.

And we get to read about one of the sweetest…God romances in the Bible.  The servant asked for signs...and all the signs happened in lightning speed. The family agreed to an immediate departure to a land far away…and Rebekah went willingly to meet her new husband.

I love the part where the servant stopped to give God praise and thanks when his prayers were answered so quickly.  Nothing else gives us more strength and comfort than praising our father for answered prayer…even when the answer is not what we wanted.  The praise we offer up keeps our heart focused on God…and helps prevent us from getting side tracked in things that God never intended to be a part of who we are. 

What a great reminder that when we stay focused on God’s plan a purpose for our lives his answers come quickly and we receive all the strength and courage to complete each part of his plan. This servant took his mission seriously…and included God in each and every step. The faith of Abraham was shared with a servant…who became a new vessel of God in the process.


Thank you God for the reminder that the faith you have given to us is a great source of strength… comfort… and courage. Forgive me for the times that I have moved ahead of you..or forgotten to ask and trust you for my directions . Forgive me too for all the times that I have forgotten to stop in a moment of praise and thanks for your answers. Help me to completely give all my thoughts and concerns over to you and let you handle them. Help me to remember to ask your help in all that I do and say.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment