Friday, March 16, 2012

Conviction of the Law


Romans 3:20-23 -  Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin.  But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.





Paul was wise beyond his years.  The wisdom that God imparted to him after his conversion is amazing to read. I had memorized Romans 3:23 when I was young….but I never really noticed these few verses just before.  No one is going to be one bit closer to God by following his law…. BUT by following the law we become conscious of the many sins in our lives.  We are descendants of Adam and Eve…we sin…we cover up our sins for years until one day we are knocked off a horse or worse…..and God starts to reveal to us the many things we are doing wrong.





As we read the bible…especially the parts that explain God’s law…we are convicted of our wrongdoings….and we come to an understanding of faith. We are like Paul…in that we never got to walk the dusty roads with Jesus…eat with him…sit at his feet and listen to his great teaching.  So we must walk in faith…we must read his story….and believe!  We believe like the Psalmist David….who wrote, “In thee, O LORD, do I put my trust; let me never be ashamed: deliver me in thy righteousness. (Psalms 31:1)”





Oh Lord…forgive me for my many sins…each day you reveal to me new ones as I read your word.  Thank you for restoring me and making a way for me to understand …thank you for allowing me to tap into your righteousness by believing in your love for me!  Thank you for the forgiveness and mercy that allow me to start new each day.  Give me a new hunger to keep reading and studying…and keep my heart prepared to react to the sin you identify each day…so I can throw off the old habits that deceive me and put on new clothes of wisdom and trust in you! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment