Friday, March 30, 2012

Want...or Need?


1 Corinthians 6:12-  "Everything is permissible for me"--but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"--but I will not be mastered by anything





Short verse...but very powerful words.  Paul is stating a simple economic principle…wants verses needs.  We want ….but  do we really need…everything that we have.  Do we own the ‘things’…or do they own us?





I understand this all to well…you see one way to fill loneliness is to shop with your free time.  Did I really need everything I bought on some of those trips…probably not…but it filled the lonely hours after the divorce with something to do.  I loved the positive comments I got the next day at school when I wore the new outfit…or shoes.  I didn’t realize just how out of control I was till I moved…and needed 3 closets to house all the…things….I had bought. 



Sure…its okay to shop….and God blesses us every day with nice things….but when we make the decisions to buy a new car…just because we want one…or we buy another pair of white shoes…just because they are cute….we may be on the way to being mastered by materialism. Do we spend more time watching TV…or playing on the computer than we do with God…or working for him in some way?  It doesn’t seem like an idol….but if you just have to have it …if it is just something to ‘fill’ time…and you don’t really need it…it may have more control over you than you think.





God …help me to reexamine the things that I do and the stuff that I buy.  You have allowed me to live in a great world of freedom…and you have blessed me with more than enough resources to pamper myself with things ….but this morning I ask you to help me stop and ask you how you would have me spend my day…let my love for you drive what I do with the blessings you allow me to have. Help me to be satisfied with what you say I need.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment