Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Weakness is a Strength


I Corinthians 1: 26-29 -  Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth.  But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.  He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things--and the things that are not--to nullify the things that are,  so that no one may boast before him.





Seems so backward if you ponder it very long…but it makes perfect sense if you just take it at face value.  God’s wisdom is infinite…he can do all things through all people…and he loves to show off by choosing the weakest of us all.  It is his wisdom…not our own that accomplishes anything.  When we realize that everything we have and ever hope to become is powered by this miracle…complete humility allows us to become stronger than we ever dreamed.





So many bible greats come to my mind….like Moses…a murderer…no control over his temper…he ran to hide and became a shepherd…till one day God appeared to him in a burning bush.  Moses made excuses…but God would have none of that…he could see how he could take this broken man…with all of his failures and bad habits…and turn him into a leader…and great prayer warrior.  Moses took the rod in his hand…and allowed God to direct his every step…his humbleness allowing him to meet face to face with God and receive the commandments we still follow today.





Or maybe Paul himself….so consumed by power that he condemned uncounted Christians to suffer imprisonment or death.  So sure of his own wisdom…clinging to the old testament laws…refusing to believe in the death and resurrection of Jesus.  God had to strike him blind and speak to him in person to humble his soul…and show him that he was wrong.  Ironic that he turned him into one of the most powerful preachers ever?  I think not…just another example of how God chooses people to do his work.





Father….thank you for your perfect wisdom.  Thank you that you never stop teaching us that in your wisdom is the power to do all things…that you can use us best we when admit that we are weak.  I am so sorry that I ever thought that I could do anything in my own power….and ask your help to keep this bit of wisdom in the front of my brain.  Go with me today and use what I have in my hands to make me a vessel of your gospel.  Pull me to my knees to ask you for what I need to go out in your strength…not my own. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment