Monday, March 12, 2012

Giving in to Storms


Acts 27:13-   - When a gentle south wind began to blow, they thought they had obtained what they wanted; so they weighed anchor and sailed along the shore of Crete.  Before very long, a wind of hurricane force, called the "northeaster," swept down from the island.  The ship was caught by the storm and could not head into the wind; so we gave way to it and were driven along.





Paul was being taken to Rome to meet with Caesar.  The travel was hard…they changed boats often…and the wind that powered the boats was not always favorable. It seemed that they were just past the difficult part as a gentle wind began to take them where they wanted to go…but then a terrible storm caught the ship.  They could do nothing but give in to the sea…and the harsh winds…and let it drive them where it may.




Wait…I thought as I read this story…this sounds like my life! I have been on a journey to...somewhere…just like this for 53 years! I have changed boats many times…and it seems that every time a gentle wind begins to steer me where I think I should go….a storm raises up out of nowhere to toss me into confusion.  It is not until I give in to the storm…and allow it to drive me where it wants that I begin to lean on the father…and learn the valuable lesson he intended from the challenge of the storm.




Paul’s storm…allowed by God…was so that he could win more lives…he was able to witness not only to the prisoners and other passengers on the boat…but he ended up touching the lives of a whole village with the message of God.  Paul is a beacon ….a sort of lighthouse for the prisoners…the crew of the ships he sailed on…and the village where they run aground.  Over and over he tells them to take courage….that his amazing God has already revealed to him that death will not come on this journey…and if they stay near to Paul….who has been protected by God till he arrives in Rome to speak to Caesar...they will all be covered by the grace God gave to him.




We are all called to be lighthouses…beacons of God’s love and grace.  We are to go where he leads us…and learn from the storms of life that God is in control…because there are lives for us to touch with his love.  We must give in to God’s plan…and allow the storm he allowed to cross our peaceful lives… teach us how to love him more deeply that we ever imagined…so that we can show that amazing love to others.  Maybe if we listened a little closer we would hear that angel he sent to tell us how it would end….to urge us to take courage.




Father…thank you for every storm you have allowed to cross my life.  And thank you for the lessons each one has taught me about your amazing love. Let your sweet mercy continue to guide me and drive where you want…not where I think I should go.  Help me to give in to the strong winds of your love….and let them drive me where you need me to go…to be your light…to a world that does not know your love….or the ones who know your love but have turned from you and are confused as to how to grab your hand again.  Forgive me Lord…for my lack of faith…for my constant questions of why…and the way I have fought you in the past.  Help me to think of this story….to be more like Paul…and listen for your angels to announce your plan for me….and tell those around me to take courage…I know how this will end! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment