Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Power Through the Spirit


1Corinthians 2: 1-5  -  When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God.  For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.  I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling. My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power.





Well…I had a hard time not copying and pasting the whole second chapter…you really need to read this whole chapter.  I love how Paul admits that he is powerless…admitting his weaknesses….declaring his fear to the whole world.   Paul flat out declares to everyone that his ability to speak and teach …his ability to remain cool and calm even under he extreme conditions of imprisonment…come from the Holy Spirit.  Every word that he spoke ….or wrote in a wonderful letter ….every song that he sang in prison….every ounce of his energy and will were powered by the spirit.  And its power is free…unlike the gas I am paying $3.89 for every week to power my car!





I am learning just how true this….for I too must admit that I am nothing…know nothing….have a horrible memory problem….and absolutely have no rhythm.  I have a total fear of speaking to a crowd…unless they are a bunch of silly teens….for some reason ...they laugh at all my mistakes.  I wake up some mornings in awe that he has ever accomplished anything with me inside a classroom.





So…I began a journey of rereading the Bible straight through a little over a year ago….and I made a promise to myself.  I would not take anything at face value…I would really read and pray for God to open up the hidden wisdom in every chapter of his great book….and he has.   Each night I have to tell myself to stop after one or two chapters…to digest all that each one contains.  And I will never be satisfied with starting my day any other way but processing the wisdom I read about the night before by writing….it is nothing more than amazing to sit and allow his spirit to help me write.





Father…I thank you for the gift of the Holy Spirit…..and the power he can give to all of us.  I sit in tears once again…so humbled and amazed that you chose to reveal even the smallest bit of wisdom and strength to me.  I shout out to the rooftops how very lowly I am…like Paul I admit every weakness….every fear…so that you can send more of your spirit to give me strength….so that you can make me a worthy vessel to use to share your gospel.  So all the people who know me will see you instead! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment