Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Prayers of the Spirit


Romans 8:26-28 -  In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.  And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will.  And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.





What comfort this passage gives me…when I am so tired…so completely spent…broken down and empty….the Holy Spirit takes over and prays for me. That must be how I made it through some of the worst times in my life…. that in those times of weakness…the Spirit just carried me.  The Holy Spirit knew exactly what I needed and interceded for me with groans only God understands.





Even in my daily conquest to pray more ….and pray more effectively…I sometimes have no clue what to pray for.  This passage gives me great comfort. As I lift up my prayers and requests to God …the Spirit intercedes and translates for me. The Holy Spirit knows what they need…so I don’t need to worry. 





And I love the last verse of this passage. I have clung to its promise many times.  When things seem out of control or the storm tosses waves so big you can see yourself drowning….just remember that God has a plan….for our good….because he loves us and is training us according to his purpose.  That is the hardest thing…to just wait and see what great thing God has planned for us…bigger and better than anything we ever planned for our self!





Father…I thank you for this gift of the Holy Spirit.  I thank you for this great friend who listens to my every prayer…and ‘fixes’ them before any of my weak ones get to you. Forgive me for the times I have not prayed because I did not remember these words of Paul. Help me to remember that I have the strength of the Holy Spirit to help me when I feel weak and helpless…and let me patiently rest in his arms while he prays for me. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. What uplifting words for today, when words fail for friends that have lost parents, I know that HE knows what their needs are. Thanks for the reminder sis!!

    ReplyDelete