Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Lord's Supper


1 Corinthians 11:26-29  -  For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.  Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord.     A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup. For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself.





The Lord’s Supper…the 12 disciples and Jesus gathered in the upper room…they partook of a the traditional Passover meal…and then Jesus tried to tell them one more time about his death on the cross. Jesus explained how his body would be broken and his blood would be poured out for all mankind.  This was not just any meal…this Passover meal ended with a special call for us all to remember the sacrifice of Jesus…how he paid the price for all our sin.





The early church came together more often than at Passover time to eat a meal and then partake of the bread and wine that served as a remembrance of Christ.  But their meetings had lost the true purpose of the meal…they had become divided…rich feasting on the blessings they had been afforded…and the poor being left to their own poverty.  It had become an empty ritual…a means to fellowship and party….for some…a way to gloat.





The church today still partakes of this holy ritual.  Some churches have even made it a part of every service.  Whenever you are honored to be a part of this wonderful way to  remember what Jesus did for us….how he paid the full price for all our sins….we should really think about what it means.   Paul is warning us here to take this simple meal seriously…to examine our heart and life before we eat that piece of bread or drink that cup of juice or wine.  As always…God has perfect timing for me….what better review  for my soul...as we approach the remembrance of our dear Jesus’ death on the cross this Sunday.  Our church will do a special communion service Sunday night. 





Father...help me to examine my heart for any thing that you are not pleased with.  Help me to really examine and ask you to expose any sin that I  still harbor ….any thing that holds me back from loving you as deeply as you intended.  I thank you for allowing your son’s body to be broken for me….a worthless sinner.  I thank you for shedding his  precious perfect blood…and letting him pay the full price for my sin.  I thank you even more for conquering death in his resurrection….and rising to give us all eternal life through your son.  This Sunday...and for that matter ….every day that you allow me life…let me remember the high price of love for your son. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment