Thursday, April 5, 2012

Love


1 Corinthians 13: 11- 13  -  When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.





Paul is so right…it is definitely time for me to become a mature Christian…to put childish thoughts and actions away…to really grasp the meaning of the love Jesus showed us through his death and resurrection.  I have lived most of my 53 years more concerned about whether I was being loved …than whether I WAS SHOWING LOVE.  Paul describes love as an action….a decision of the will...it is not just a passing emotion.  Our love is to be unconditional…like God’s love toward us.





He describes this love in great detail…calling us to have patience, be kind, to be content with what God gives us…whatever that may be at any given time.  Paul says that true love is built on humility, graciousness, and sacrifice….giving to others more than we require for ourselves.  And if that is not enough…he goes on to tell us that love requires self control…a sense of calm…a peace …which can only come from trusting the father to do all things for us and through us.  The love God wants to plant in each of us is hopeful…perseverant and eternal…looking always to the source of power we were all given through Jesus.





My faith is to be built on the trust that God will be there to see me through anything he allows me to experience.  He alone can give me hope…help me to not just want his great love…but cherish it ….desire more of it….to anticipate how wonderful he can make my life.  He can give me a profoundly tender….passionately tender affection….that arises from the personal relationship I build with God.  Wow! Paul is a good salesman….what have I been waiting for! 





Father…I thank you for this amazing description of what I should be striving for.  Forgive me for reading this passage so many times and not quite understanding the depth of love you call me to.  Forgive me Lord for walking through 53 years of life and thinking that I ever deserved this kind of love myself…but thanking you fresh this morning for giving me this kind of love anyway.  You are an amazing God and I ask you to help me desire…to really cherish you…every moment.  Help me begin to show this kind of love to others. ..really show your love to all…unconditionally.   Help me to be content with where you have placed me…and trust that you have a plan and a purpose for what you are asking of me now. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment