Friday, April 6, 2012

Prophecy


1 Corinthians 14: 1-3 -  Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy.  For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit. But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort.   





When I thought of prophecy…..I always thought of the people in the New Testament…the ones who delivered the words of God…like Jeremiah...or Elisha.  These mighty men received the very words of God in visions and dreams….then delivered his message to the people.  It was a hard job….cause most did not listen…they kept on doing the wrong things.  But Paul is saying hear that we can all seek to have the gift of prophecy….to ask God to reveal to us the scriptures…then simply explain them to others!





People were abusing the use of tongues…they were speaking in tongues without anyone interpreting the language….the utterances were only understood by God…not by the people in the church who needed to be taught the scripture.  Paul wasn’t saying that tongues were wrong…never to be used…he was just making the point that it was not teaching the new Christians anything about the scriptures.  He was encouraging the new Church to spend more time in the service explaining the scripture….strengthening their souls with the words and wisdom of God….encouraging each other with bible verses….comforting those who had specific needs with specific words that would speak to their soul….to their pain.





Paul wanted us all to be able to speak in tongues…he knew the value of entering into the presence of God...and speaking with him alone in an unknown language.  But Paul is saying for us all to pray for the gift of prophecy…to be able to hear God speak to us his wisdom from the bible….so we can explain it to others.  We might encounter an Ethiopian one day…riding in a chariot…and God might need us to go explain the scripture they are reading to them…so they can believe…and be baptized …..like Phillip in Acts 8:26-29. 





Paul doesn’t mention it here…but it should go without saying that we should pick up those bibles and study more.  I for one am so very thankful that I started reading the bible again…I have several…that sat dormant for years.  If I did pick one of them up…it was usually just carried to church…to read along with the pastor.  I understood very little of what I read…applied very little to what I did day by day. The journey I started over a year ago…to read the bible with purpose….to ask God every night to open its meaning…to send me some Phillip’s to explain things that just were to confusing for me to get….well…it is beginning to change my very soul.





Paul is saying that WE SHOULD ALL REQUEST THE GIFT OF PROPHECY… that we should all ask God to use us to build up the body of Christ….and speak comfort and wisdom to anyone he sends us to. Oh that I could be a prophet one day….to be one that Paul speaks of later in verse 25…that causes more people to believe and worship God,….. “and the secrets of his heart will be laid bare. So he will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, "God is really among you!"





Father…thank you…thank you …thank you for your precious servant Paul.  Thank you for this reminder that your word must be shared with others…and that we must study ourselves to understand how to use it to encourage others.  Help me this morning to really grasp the meaning of all that you have me read….to be thirsty for your wisdom….to ask you to bless me with the gift of prophecy….and be able to use it to teach and edify all that you send me to explain it to.  Forgive father for all those years I did not listen to Paul’s wisdom…and I did not study…did not try to learn all that I could. But thank you again for your grace and forgiveness….that allows me even now…to put my mistakes in the past…and accept the gift of your death on the cross for my sins.   Wash me new in that precious blood again this morning…and give me strength to keep learning and growing in your love and wisdom. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment