Sunday, April 1, 2012

One Amazing God


1 Corinthians 8: 5-6  -   For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many "gods" and many "lords"),  yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.





Paul lived in a world where there were many Gods.  He was preaching a foreign concept to a people who had prayed to one God for love…another one for wealth…another one for children.  I for one …am very thankful that Paul set us straight on this one.  I don’t multi-task very well…and can’t possibly see how I would have pleased any one of these creatures created to receive the credit for what our great amazing God does simply because he loves us.





This must have been an important concept to teach…there are 28 total verses in the bible that tell us that there is but one God….Jehovah….Yahweh ….and he is the one from whom all things are given.  The first one is in Deuteronomy 4:35…Moses pens, “You were shown these things so that you might know that the LORD is God; besides him there is no other.  The last mention of this concept is in James 2:19. Many believe that the half-brother of Jesus penned these words, “You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that--and shudder.” 





Father…I thank you this morning that you are God…that there is no other one I have to learn about or pray to.  I thank you for sending your son to die for me…and I thank you for sending your spirit to guide me day by day.  Help me to remember always that everything I have …good…or bad….is from you.  Help me to live through you to the fullest each moment you allow me life.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment