Saturday, April 21, 2012

Love...Grace...AND Mercy

Ephesians 2:4-10 -  But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy,  made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions--it is by grace you have been saved. And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus,  in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus.  For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--  not by works, so that no one can boast.  For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Wow...those words in verse 4…”because of his great love for us”…they are nothing more than the sweetest honey I have ever eaten…the purest melody ever written…the most beautiful flower he has ever allowed me to see.  His great love for me is my whole reason for living…the only reason any of us are allowed even one day on this Earth. Paul knew the rich love of Christ too…he bathed his whole being in the grace and mercy of God daily.  Even though he was a murderer…God’s great love and mercy allowed him to be transformed into one of the greatest preachers and writers of all time.

It is important to remember that we are to show this great love to others….the love of Christ should blossom in our hearts. His love should create a sense of goodness that recognizes the needs of others around us. HIS love then …should manifest itself in kindness. It is not these works of kindness that save us…that is the pure result of God’s grace.  But when we accept that grace...when we accept the love of Christ…when we fall on our knees and let him save us by his grace….our faith plants a seed of love that starts to recognize the needs around us….makes us WANT to love on others.  Paul’s words in verse 10 say it all…we were ….”created in Christ to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”

Father…I thank you…thank you…thank you…for the great love you have given this world.  Even though I mess up daily...your love is always right there …waiting on me to admit my wrong and ask you to restore me to do your work.  Forgive me…and help me to really open my heart…so your love can correct the vision in my eyes.  Help me to see the needs of those around me that you placed there in advance for me to love on and show mercy and grace too.  Continue to create in me a more loving and gracious heart… able to love on ANYONE…that you place in my pathway!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment