Monday, April 2, 2012

Sacrifice


1 Corinthians 10: 23 -24 - "Everything is permissible"--but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible"--but not everything is constructive.  Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others.





There it is again…Paul just used this statement in chapter 6…it must be VERY important if he deemed it worth repeating.  In chapter 6, he is using it to help us understand how easy it is to be mastered by the ‘things’ of this world…to guard against letting worldly lusts and coveting material possessions …to not let it become what drives our lives.  But Paul takes it a step deeper here…we should really consider others needs before our own! If we back up a chapter …he begins to talk about this concept in 1 Corinthians 9:19, “Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible.”





Self sacrifice….wow…hard advice to follow.  I remember sacrificing for my kids…I may have sacrificed a few things for my husband…but Paul is telling me to sacrifice what I want and think of strangers….to do what always builds others up…not always what I have the right to do.  People watch us you know…some even know us…and they might be lost.  They hear us proclaim our love to the Lord…and they watch us …to see if our talk matches our walk.





I sure fail this test of Paul’s.  I am one of the worst whiners …I can muster up a complaint faster than McDonalds can get you through the drive though window…when I think it is unfair….to me.  I knew deep down whining wasn’t a good practice…very few times do we really need to speak out against a injustice….God knows and judges….it is not really my job!  And I really need to quit trying to find ‘legal’ ways to break the rules…I would be a much better witness for my Lord if I just followed the rule….sacrificing what I want to be obedient.





Father…help me today to try and get this…to learn to sacrifice what I want…and to always do the right thing…because a lost person might be watching me.  Forgive me once again for being so selfish….and thank you that you keep reminding me that it is not about me…but about showing people your love.  Wash me fresh this morning with your love and grace and hold my hand.   Speak to me really loud today when I get the urge to whine…help me accept the things I need to do with the grace you show me….and be a model of your great patience and love for all people.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment