Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Faith


Genesis 46: 1-5 -  So Israel took his journey with all that he had, and came to Beer-sheba, and offered sacrifices to the God of his father Isaac.  And God spoke to Israel in visions of the night, and said, "Jacob, Jacob." And he said, "Here am I."  Then he said, "I am God, the God of your father; do not be afraid to go down to Egypt; for I will there make of you a great nation.  I will go down with you to Egypt, and I will also bring you up again; and Joseph's hand shall close your eyes."  Then Jacob set out from Beer-sheba; and the sons of Israel carried Jacob their father, their little ones, and their wives, in the wagons which Pharaoh had sent to carry him.

Jacob…..130 years old….awakens from the depression of losing his son….and packs his whole family….everyone dear to him…and everything he owns…and he sets out toward Egypt. He is so moved by the news that his favorite son is not dead that he takes a moment to offer sacrifices to God at Beer-sheba.  He must have been worried about the trip….maybe he remembered that God had told him not to go to Egypt in Genesis 26….or maybe the way Rachel died on his way to Canaan. Or maybe he worried that the Egyptian idols would influence his family away from God. Or maybe he somehow had knowledge of words spoken to Abraham in Genesis 15:13…and he feared the move would bring about this captivity.

Amazing …how God meets him there that night.  He appears to him in a vision and speaks his name….and tells him to not be afraid to go to Egypt.  God promises to go with him…so he can see his son Joseph once more before he closes his eyes in death. God comes to Israel…and calms his fears…and holds his hand…and renews the promise he made to Jacob. He promises to walk with him to Egypt…..make a great nation out of him…and then bring this great nation back to the land promised to his grandfather Abraham.

Sometimes…God calls us to walk out on faith just like Jacob. Once we take that first step out of our old lives…God will take us by the hand and lead us places that might be out of our comfort zone. We might have to face the memories of past hurts and sadness as we travel this path he chose for us…but God will never leave our side. Jacob in his fear offered sacrifices to God…probably the first time he had talked with him in a long while. And God came that very night…to Jacob’s ready heart…and filled it with strength and knowledge for the days ahead.

As Jacob embarks on this trip…he takes the time to count heads. God makes sure Moses records the small number of 70….which does not include the females that traveled with them. Amazing how God will take this small number and multiply it over the next few hundred years.  God has a way of taking a small amount…and blessing it…and making it more than needed…more than I am sure Jacob dreamed in his head as he rode in those wagons the Pharaoh had sent. More than even the joy…peace…and sweet relief he must have felt as he embraced his son again for the first time in many years.

Father…I thank you that Jesus’ sacrifice of blood on the cross makes it easy for me to stop often and speak with you.  Help me to learn that I need to stop often …and kneel at an altar…and offer up all my worries to you. Come to me like you did Jacob…and speak your promises to me.  Reveal the pieces of my journey with you that will help me to hold tightly to your hand in faith….so I can have the strength I need when the journey is not so pleasant. Bring to me the joy…sweet peace…and vision of the future blessing that you will bring into my life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment