Saturday, September 8, 2012

The Words of the Father


Genesis 49:28-33 - All these are the twelve tribes of Israel; and this is what their father said to them as he blessed them, blessing each with the blessing suitable to him. Then he charged them, and said to them, "I am to be gathered to my people; bury me with my fathers in the cave that is in the field of Ephron the Hittite,  in the cave that is in the field at Mach-pe'lah, to the east of Mamre, in the land of Canaan, which Abraham bought with the field from Ephron the Hittite to possess as a burying place.  There they buried Abraham and Sarah his wife; there they buried Isaac and Rebekah his wife; and there I buried Leah--  the field and the cave that is in it were purchased from the Hittites."  When Jacob finished charging his sons, he drew up his feet into the bed, and breathed his last, and was gathered to his people.

The end of a loved one’s journey on this Earth is so bittersweet to those of us that are left behind. Israel donned the last of his Earthly energy to speak prophecies to his 12 sons…to let them know the future that awaited them. Each son was given an individual word from their father…parting words meant to finalize his love and responsibility for their care. To some he spoke harshly…demoting them…and rebuking their sins. To some he spoke words of strength and visions of success for their future. And to some he spoke words of respect…for their walk with God and how they had embraced God’s will in their lives.

I saw myself …just a bit ….as he spoke to all 12 of his son’s. Demoted for my past sins….struggling to put them behind me and embrace God’s forgiveness and forgive myself. Rebuked for all the petty quarrels and inconsequential arguments I have started with people. Thankful that God never left me and is changing me into a stronger person that wants to serve him more. Trying to accept that I must be more of a laborer…and embrace and have a passion for the work he has for me to do. Needing to trust God more with every part of my life…and stop trying to do things on my own. Feeling the sweet arms of God heal me from all my hurts. Farming the Earth for the rich blessing it offers. Producing new believers of God as I complete the tasks he gives me to do. Devouring my enemy Satan more than I let him defeat me. Becoming a fruitful tree…beside God’s never ending fountain of life giving water.

Oh how we need to gather around our father and hear his words of rebuke…challenge…healing and grace that will help us accept the things we cannot change….and pray for the wisdom to change the things we can. Just as Israel spoke these last words to his sons….and he accepted the serenity to pass from this earthly life into the glory of his heavenly father….we must embrace his words from the father to all of his sons and daughters….and claim the peace that passes all understanding…so that we too may become what God has planned for us to be.  So that we too may leave behind the mistakes of the past…and use them to proclaim God’s message to the world around us that has no clue how wonderful God’s love is….who have no clue how empowering the grace of God can be in their lives….that have never experienced the healing power of his great love.

Father…I thank you for the greatness of your love that washes me clean each day and lets me try once  more to be a child you would be proud to call your daughter. Forgive me once again for not embracing your peace in my life…and resting in you…and letting you control every aspect of my life. Teach me how to discern your will for me as it presents itself to me daily…and accept the past as training for the tasks you will give me tomorrow. Help me to be a strong warrior for your kingdom…to run toward you every morning and hold your hand all day long. To accept every task you give me and complete it with all my heart and all my soul and all my strength. Am

No comments:

Post a Comment