Friday, September 21, 2012

Promises Kept


Exodus 12:36-39 -  and the LORD had given the people favor in the sight of the Egyptians, so that they let them have what they asked. Thus they despoiled the Egyptians. And the people of Israel journeyed from Ram'eses to Succoth, about six hundred thousand men on foot, besides women and children.  A mixed multitude also went up with them, and very many cattle, both flocks and herds.  And they baked unleavened cakes of the dough which they had brought out of Egypt, for it was not leavened, because they were thrust out of Egypt and could not tarry, neither had they prepared for themselves any provisions. 

What a mix of emotions the people of Israel must have felt as they hastily grabbed what they could carry….and took those first steps out of the captivity of Pharaoh. They had to have felt excitement…at the realization that they really were free.  But I imagine that a bit of fear ….of the unknown future ahead of them….may have tempered the exuberance.  I don’t think there was much ‘whooping and hollerin’ as they left. I am sensing that an attitude of worship dominated the first few steps…as they reflected on the way God had passed over them in the night…the sound of wailing over the dead first born of Egypt ringing in their ears…and the small amount of sleep they must have gotten…kept them from throwing down any bragging rights.

The Egyptians did not just tell them to leave….they piled in their arms anything they asked for. 600.000 men…their families…their cattle…their sheep and goats…left and encamped at what was called Succoth…a place of tents and temporary booths to coral the many animals they brought. From the 70 people who arrived in Egypt with Joseph’s brothers and father…some scholars estimate by adding the women and children in each family….that maybe 2 million Hebrews declared their freedom that day!

Here’s one more tidbit that I love. Embedded in these verses is a short declaration that a mixed multitude of people followed them out that morning.  Some of the Egyptians….maybe some of their slaves….perhaps a few high officials….they followed them out that morning. They saw the power of the Hebrew’s God Yahweh….and they followed the Israelites out of Egypt.  Maybe they were just scared to stay in this place destroyed by God as he judged these people…so they packed up what they could and left everything they knew to follow another unseen God. But maybe they wanted to claim the same protection he had extended to the Hebrews during the night….and by following them they would learn of the one true God..and their lives would be changed forever because of the example they see in Moses leading this huge nation to a promised land.

Father… I thank you for reminding me that no matter how bad things seem…you will keep your promise to lead me to your promised land.  Thank you for that moment so long ago that brought me to salvation. And thank you God for the continued reminders that I have strayed away from your plan for me….for loving me so much that you chase after me… for doing what it took to draw me back to you.  Help me to live my remaining days in an attitude of gratitude…and hold an air of worship and reverence for all that you have done for me. Help me be an example to any who are watching me…help me show them how to find you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment