Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Restoration


Genesis 45:1-5 - Then Joseph could not control himself before all those who stood by him; and he cried, "Make every one go out from me." So no one stayed with him when Joseph made himself known to his brothers. And he wept aloud, so that the Egyptians heard it, and the household of Pharaoh heard it. And Joseph said to his brothers, "I am Joseph; is my father still alive?" But his brothers could not answer him, for they were dismayed at his presence.  So Joseph said to his brothers, "Come near to me, I pray you." And they came near. And he said, "I am your brother, Joseph, whom you sold into Egypt. And now do not be distressed, or angry with yourselves, because you sold me here; for God sent me before you to preserve life. 

Through beautiful tears of mercy and grace ….brought about by the tender loving speech of his changed brother Judah….Joseph reveals himself finally to his brothers. He sends all his servants out of the room so that he can share this tender moment alone with his family….but everyone can hear the sobs through the walls as he allows God to fill him with compassion and love.  He does not pronounce judgment on them for their sin…he tells them to forgive themselves and declares that God will has been done through what they have done.

It is so like God…to bless them.  They are speechless as Joseph rattles on about how they should all move to Egypt…where he can take care of them properly.  No doubt they are staring at him….and each other…in disbelief that he has not thrown them into the darkest prison…in disbelief that he could forgive them for hating him so. And as their fear and dread melted into Joseph’s loving arms of compassion..they found their voice.  They wept together…and talked together….and allowed Pharaoh himself to bless them with more than they needed ….even wagons to make the travel easy for Joseph’s aged father.

Jacob had a hard time believing it too.  He fainted as they told him the great news….but revived quickly as they showed him the wagons and gifts and provisions Joseph had sent. Joseph’s mercy and grace… ….brought about by many years of trusting God….brings restoration to all. Joseph’s epiphany of God’s divine intervention….allows him to understand that all has happened the way it happened to bring about the good of God’s larger promises. Joseph’s forgiveness allows him to reestablish his relationship with his brothers.  Joseph’s brothers are restored by mercy and grace to be a complete family once again…and the happy ending is complete because God worked through Joseph to restore all.

Joseph’s ability to forgive was a direct result of his close walk with God. It gave him the insight and strength to put the past in the past. His brothers will need to develop a relationship of their own to understand completely the love they received from their brother.  It is so very hard to forgive yourself. We believe the worst so easily….but when God’s great gifts are poured out upon us…we tend to hesitate….dumbstruck that he could love us in spite of the sin we fight to hide from him each day. God already knows my sins….and he is just waiting for me to ask for his forgiveness…so he can teach me how to forgive myself….and bask in the blessings of his rich grace and mercy…so he can restore me to walk with him in the newness of his grace each day.

Father …I thank you for the mercy and grace that allows me to be more than I am able to be on my own.  Thank you for your forgiveness…and teaching me how to forgive myself…so that I can be strengthened by your love each day.  Show me how to fill up my heart with the love of your son….and allow the gift of salvation he gave me to empower me to do your work.  Restore me as you did this family every day you allow me life on the earth…so I can daily seek your will for my life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment