Friday, September 14, 2012

Pain in Waiting


Exodus 5:20-23   -  They met Moses and Aaron, who were waiting for them, as they came forth from Pharaoh;  and they said to them, "The LORD look upon you and judge, because you have made us offensive in the sight of Pharaoh and his servants, and have put a sword in their hand to kill us." Then Moses turned again to the LORD and said, "O LORD, why hast thou done evil to this people? Why didst thou ever send me?  For since I came to Pharaoh to speak in thy name, he has done evil to this people, and thou hast not delivered thy people at all."

Moses had been told in Exodus 3:19-20 that Pharaoh would be reluctant to let them leave…he told Moses that Pharaoh would need some pretty hefty signs of God’s power to be convinced to let the Israelites go.  But God did not warn him that the abuse and terror of slavery would increase so much when he asked.  It must have been so hard for Moses to wait on God…it must have been hard to see the pain of the Hebrews….be accused of coming back just to bring them more harm. So Moses turned to the Lord and prayed this prayer of deep frustration.

The freedom of these people was so close….yet so far away! Moses was doing exactly what God told him to do…and yet the pain of the people he was sent to free was increased. Obedience is like that sometimes.  Maybe it is a test of our endurance….maybe it is to see if we really trust God like we say…but God makes us wait sometimes.  And in those moments…or days…or months…or years…that he makes us wait…we have to cling to our faith…believe that God is working a bigger plan than we can see at the moment.  And the pain we feel is magnified as we wait on his answers.

Moses prayer mirrors my own when life gets tough….seems to be out of my control…causes me to suffer physically or mentally.  I cry out to God and ask him why…why …why? I call out to him to give me quicker answers…instead of the strength and wisdom to see the purpose in my wait. I may be just moments from receiving  the piece of the puzzle that finishes the task…..but at that moment….Satan still has me locked up in my frustration….has me blinded to the faith I must cling to as I wait. Oh how I need to trust God more as I wait on his promise to prosper me and give me hope for my future!

Oh father…how clear the message is to me this morning.  I must cling to you when things in my life are hard and cause me pain. Teach me to call out to you for strength…and wisdom…and patience.  Teach me to cling to you as I embrace the task you gave me to do…and do not see the results I was promised. Help me to trust you more fully…and learn how to wait on you…trust your timing that is perfect. Give me courage to face the pain that waiting might bring…and faith to know that you will never leave me to suffer alone. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment