Monday, September 10, 2012

Grow Strong in your Burdens


Exodus 1:7-12  -  But the descendants of Israel were fruitful and increased greatly; they multiplied and grew exceedingly strong; so that the land was filled with them.  Now there arose a new king over Egypt, who did not know Joseph.  And he said to his people, "Behold, the people of Israel are too many and too mighty for us.  Come, let us deal shrewdly with them, lest they multiply, and, if war befall us, they join our enemies and fight against us and escape from the land."  Therefore they set taskmasters over them to afflict them with heavy burdens; and they built for Pharaoh store-cities, Pithom and Ra-am'ses.  But the more they were oppressed, the more they multiplied and the more they spread abroad. And the Egyptians were in dread of the people of Israel.

Joseph and all his brothers had passed from this life….but their descendants were blessed just as God had promised. The exact numbers are not important…but they were enough Israelites that this new Pharaoh was intimidated by the mere thought of them joining any enemy in battle. They must not have been diligent in worshiping Yahweh because it says they were weak enough in spirit to be oppressed….and were forced to labor long hard hours to build up store cities for this new ruler who did not fear Joseph’s God. But here is the part of this story I like the best…it says the more they were oppressed….the more God blessed them with more children and heirs.

I am cautioned by this story to keep my faith as strong as I can…so I do not become weak enough to allow Satan to oppress me the way Pharaoh did these children of God. It is much too easy for Satan to pull us away from God’s power and love with the beautiful trappings of materialism….or convince us to replace the love of god altogether with some idol…or drug that deadens our spirit completely. Once he has weakened us…he can trap us in our sins…much like Pharaoh trapped these Israelites into believing they had no power to break free from this oppression. And after you have been bound by sin for a long period of time…it is hard to break free from it.! 

But thank God that the other thing I claim about this story is that even though we are sometimes bound to the world in sin….God continues to bless us and prosper us. How amazing that God continued to multiply the numbers of these people…the more they were oppressed…the more he blessed them. They grew to such great numbers that Pharaoh ordered all the male babies be murdered….making it even harder for the Israelites to believe that God was among them at all.  How hard it must have been for the mothers of those babies …how brave and courageous were the mid-wives that flat out lied to Pharaoh because they feared God more than the feared Pharaoh.

Unless you have read a few chapters ahead…you don’t see God at work in this horrible time at all. You don’t see him welding the great plan to deliver them as the baby Moses is born. You don’t see the purpose in the pain of these people…or the lessons he is trying to teach them in these hardships.  You don’t see the physical strength they are gaining as they work such hard physical labor.  You don’t see the mental intelligence they are developing as they devise plan after plan to foil and deceive the Pharaoh.  You don’t see the spiritual power they are gaining as they learn to trust God and wait for his deliverance from their burden.

Father…help me to always remember that you are in control…and you have a plan that I cannot see. Forgive me for allowing Satan to trick me ….and control me…and keep me from realizing the great power I have in the name of Jesus. Go with me today and strengthen my body…to do the labor and bring in a harvest you will be proud of.  Sharpen the brain cells I have not killed completely…and multiply them into a powerful tool that can discern the devils’ tricks and schemes.  And father…give me the patience and trust to wait on you…and know that you are welding a great plan to prosper me beyond my wildest dreams.  Use the time you ask me to wait to build my faith…and give power to this weary soul. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment