Monday, September 3, 2012

Sacrificial Love


Genesis 44: 1-2 and 33-34 - Then he commanded the steward of his house, "Fill the men's sacks with food, as much as they can carry, and put each man's money in the mouth of his sack,  and put my cup, the silver cup, in the mouth of the sack of the youngest, with his money for the grain." And he did as Joseph told him. …… Now therefore, let your servant, I pray you, remain instead of the lad as a slave to my lord; and let the lad go back with his brothers.  For how can I go back to my father if the lad is not with me? I fear to see the evil that would come upon my father."

Joseph’s final deception is severe…he directed his household manager to put all the money they had brought to pay for the grain in the necks of their grain sacks…and to hide his silver divination cup in the top of Benjamin’s.  He waits just a little while….then sends the manager to catch up with them and accuse them of stealing it. Oh how confident they are of their innocence ….and just as their father Jacob pronounced a curse on Rachel…they pronounce just as bad a curse on poor innocent Benjamin….only Benjamin is not sitting on the evidence…he is caught.

They all tear their clothes and follow the house manager back with Benjamin…and Joseph lets go with the best drama yet. An act he had contrived to test the hearts of his brothers…to see if Benjamin was hated as much as he. But he doesn’t have to wait very long to see if his brothers have truly changed…their remorse is evident as they fall humbly to the ground. And Judah emerges as the spokesman for the group…and declares their past sins to Joseph.  Broken and full of shame for all the actions that have condemned his youngest brother….his heart melts completely…and we see an example of sacrificial love that rivals the knife of Abraham.

Oh what a marvelous lesson of sacrificial love Judah teaches me. His speech of truth and conviction proclaims his guilt to Joseph…and he offers to take the place of his younger brother. And we see how the admission of sins brings a hard ….bitter…jealous heart to its knees. We see God melt the hate and years of lies into a moment of real maturity for Judah. We see Judah admit his sins of the past to a seeming stranger…and pour his heart of new love out to Joseph….to try and save his brother and his father back home.

Father…I thank you that you have patience with me….a sinner like Judah.  Help me to search my heart for the deepest hidden sin….and admit it to you and the world…so you can clean my heart and prepare it to do your work.  Give me the sacrificial love that Judah had….and show me when and how to use it to lead others to your truth. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment