Sunday, September 16, 2012

God's Power Trumps Satan's Tricks


Exodus 7:1-6 -  And the LORD said to Moses, "See, I make you as God to Pharaoh; and Aaron your brother shall be your prophet.  You shall speak all that I command you; and Aaron your brother shall tell Pharaoh to let the people of Israel go out of his land.  But I will harden Pharaoh's heart, and though I multiply my signs and wonders in the land of Egypt,  Pharaoh will not listen to you; then I will lay my hand upon Egypt and bring forth my hosts, my people the sons of Israel, out of the land of Egypt by great acts of judgment.  And the Egyptians shall know that I am the LORD, when I stretch forth my hand upon Egypt and bring out the people of Israel from among them."  And Moses and Aaron did so; they did as the LORD commanded them. 

Moses wasn’t scared anymore…God provided him the courage to complete his task.  And so Moses stopped whining….Aaron stood ready….God declared the moment had come for him to show his glory and power…and the three of them became a team that would rock the world Pharaoh thought he controlled. God starts off with simple signs…ones he knows the magicians of Pharaoh can imitate. Snakes and bloody water were no threat to his power…so as God had planned…Pharaoh did not believe in this God of Moses…and he ignored his orders.  God even allowed the Egyptians to dig deep into the earth for fresh water from the deep wells below. Pharaoh thought he was in control…but God was just welding a bigger plan. God had 9 more plagues set to teach Pharaoh a lesson none of the Egyptians or Israelites would forget.

We are so like Pharaoh…thinking that we have control over our lives.  God even allows us to do what we want for a time..whether it hurts us …whether it damages our witness…even if it destroys something precious in our life.  God gave us free choice…and he allows us to use it…to listen to him…or listen to the world…listen to the Gods we built for ourselves. This lesson is not just about the courage of Moses and his obedience… this lesson is about how stubborn and rotted we are from the influences of the world. God will not leave us alone….he will keep sending his plagues to help us see that we need an attitude adjustment.

And Satan will keep imitating God’s signs to us…to trick us…and keep our hearts hard.  Satan will fight just as hard to keep us bound and captive….as God does to free us from the world and its sin. Satan will make you think that God doesn’t love you…because he allowed some horrible thing in your life.  But God will keep revealing his love in small doses until you understand…and you call him back to you…and ask him to free you from whatever has you bound.

Father…thank you for chasing after me and sending me signs that teach me who you are. Help me to recognize you and discern the tricks of Satan’s imitations of your power. Help me to pick up that wiggly snake that has swallowed Satan…and turn it back into the powerful rod of God. Speak to me as you spoke to Moses…give me an interpreter if I need it…and help me hear all your instructions to live a life that glorifies you. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment