Monday, December 8, 2014

GodLeft Us each A Great Inheritance


Ezekiel 48:29 and 34-35 -"This is the land you are to allot as an inheritance to the tribes of Israel, and these will be their portions," declares the Sovereign LORD.

"On the west side, which is 4,500 cubits long, will be three gates: the gate of Gad, the gate of Asher and the gate of Naphtali.  "The distance all around will be 18,000 cubits. "And the name of the city from that time on will be: THE LORD IS THERE."

 

The last words Ezekiel heard in his vision was how to divide the land God gave them among the people he had chosen to be his. God set apart a portion for himself …then each tribe received a portion. Each portion had clear boundaries….with the priests living just outside the city that God placed central to all the land.

 

The note in my Life Application Bible said that God’s clear directions and accounting of all the tribes showed his desire to accommodate all people who believe. It made the point that God’s choice to place the city and Temple central to all the portions emphasized the need to keep worship central in our lives. It was meant to take the people’s eyes off of the world around them…so they could focus more easily on Jehovah… who was taking care of them.

 

The world has become such a distraction that I need a reminder every day to keep my goals and purposes set toward him. The distractions start with the news I watch after writing….continue throughout a busy day at school…hit me the hardest after school running here and there to do this and that…till I open my Bible each night at bedtime to refocus on him before I sleep.

 

It does not surprise me that God ends his visit with Ezekiel with these words.  I found myself staring at the end of this book …filled with so much rich wisdom. The Bible doesn’t record his death…just the rich insights and visions that God gave him. I am so thankful that his faithful obedience to God was recorded so that I may learn from its words too.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I need to work constantly to stay focused on you and keep you central to all my thoughts each day.  I thank you for the life of Ezekiel and the faith he modeled throughout the writings you let him record.  Forgive me for the times that I let my concentration fall…and drift away from your plan for me.  Help me to stay more focused and keep my eyes on you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment