Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Lead Others To God


Hosea 5:1-3 -  "Hear this, you priests! Pay attention, you Israelites! Listen, O royal house! This judgment is against you: You have been a snare at Mizpah, a net spread out on Tabor. The rebels are deep in slaughter. I will discipline all of them.  I know all about Ephraim; Israel is not hidden from me. Ephraim, you have now turned to prostitution; Israel is corrupt.

 

Hosea spoke some harsh words of God to the leaders of Israel.  The priests that God had charged with keeping the people pure and righteous had led them so far away from God that they were encouraging idol worship and prostitution.  God saw it all…and was not happy about it.  He was about to turn away from his people for a time so that they could be taught an important lesson about who they should serve.

 

Hosea’s words are really for all of us now.  We are each leaders in some form or fashion to someone….for those around us watch us to see what we do.  If we tell others we are followers of Christ…they watch us even closer. Satan watches us the closest….listening and plotting his next plan to turn us into self-sufficient people who think they don’t need God at all.

 

Satan’s mission is to harden our hearts …so that we see the narrow road leading to God as too difficult to travel.  He makes it easier for us to follow the world ways that led these Israelites to pagan gods and reliance on everything but Jehovah…who had picked them as his people….and given them a great land flowing with milk and honey to live in.

 

I will be the first to admit that I don’t always take my role as a leader seriously enough.  I teach 90 plus children each day…with another 1,100 looking at me when they pass me in the halls.  Let’s add the membership of my church….who see me every Sunday…singing in the choir.  Then there is the 100 or so that brush past me in the places where I shop for groceries or daily needs. And I simply have no clue how many people follow this blog post each day.  I think you get the point…we lead even when we don’t think we are.  There is a constant flow of people in and around our lives that look at us ….to see if our walk matches our talk. 

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that others are watching me even when I don’t notice it.  Forgive me for the times that others have seen me at less than my best. Help me to be faithful…so when others see me they will see you.  Help me to live a life that draws people closer to you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment