Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Water The Spaces Around You With God's Love


Hosea 6:3-4 - Let us acknowledge the LORD; let us press on to acknowledge him. As surely as the sun rises, he will appear; he will come to us like the winter rains, like the spring rains that water the earth."  "What can I do with you, Ephraim? What can I do with you, Judah? Your love is like the morning mist, like the early dew that disappears.

 

Hosea spoke to the people about their need to understand the meaning of love.  They spoke the word love falsely…and let their love for God disappear as quickly as they said it. He wanted them to know that the Messiah was coming to water the Earth…and help them understand the deepest meaning of love that existed.

 

Jesus did come…and fulfill these words of Hosea.   He watered the earth and sacrificed himself on the cross. He showed us all what love truly is…and offered us a new way to worship him. He gives his love to all now… as a free gift.  It can encompass our lives and give us all we need…but some will never come close to understanding the completeness and depth it can go. 

 

Love is not a thing that God gave our hearts to let evaporate quickly into the air around us.  God gave us love so we can model it to everyone around us.  He gave us love to continue pouring out his spring rains on those that never even knew they could have a portion.  Mark 12:30-31 records Jesus’ words to one of those leaders that ask him what commandment was the most important.  It says…. “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."

 

It is just one more reminder to me that I come way farther down the list of ‘people that are important’ than I allow myself to believe.  God is always first….others are always…always second….and I am somewhere in the mix after that.  God gave me his love to spread it to others….nothing I could want is more important than that.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that you gave me your love to share it with others.  Forgive me for the times when I have been selfish and kept it all for myself.  Help me to share all your love with others…with the same compassion and mercy that Jesus modeled for me on the cross….and every day of his short life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment